Last Updated on January 16, 2024
Nish nosh salad is a delicious and nutritious dish that is perfect for any occasion. It is made with fresh vegetables, flavorful herbs, and a tangy dressing. This salad is easy to make and can be served as a side dish or as a main course.
It is a great way to get your daily dose of vegetables and is packed with vitamins and minerals. The combination of flavors and textures makes this salad truly unique and memorable.
What is Nish Nosh Salad?
Nish nosh salad is a dish that originated in Israel. It is a traditional Israeli salad that is made with fresh vegetables. It is typically seasoned with olive oil, lemon juice, and herbs. The salad is often topped with mayonnaise and olives for added flavor and texture.
It’s a culinary canvas, inviting creativity and personalization in the realm of salads. Much like its name suggests, it’s a dish where you can “nish” and “nosh” to your heart’s content, combining an array of fresh ingredients into a flavorful and satisfying ensemble.
The beauty of Nish Nosh Salad lies in its versatility. Picture a bowl brimming with vibrant greens, an assortment of colorful vegetables, perhaps a medley of nuts or seeds for crunch, and a dressing that ties it all together. The exact composition may vary based on personal preferences, seasonal produce, or regional influences.
What does it taste like?
Nish nosh salad has a unique flavor profile that is both sweet and savory. The fresh vegetables provide a crunchy texture, while the mayo adds a creamy, salty contrast.
The herbs and lemon juice give the salad a bright, zesty flavor. The olive oil adds a hint of brininess that is balanced out by the sweetness of the vegetables.
You’ll also like the following Side Dishes recipes!
- Neiman Marcus Gourmet Chicken Copycat Recipe
- How to make Andy Reid’s Mac And Cheese
- Heb Rotisserie Chicken Salad
Nish Nosh Crackers: Provide a crispy and crunchy texture, adding a delightful bite to the salad.
Red Onion: Introduces a sharp and slightly spicy flavor, contributing both taste and visual appeal.
Hearts of Romaine Lettuce: Serve as the crisp and fresh green base, offering a satisfying crunch to the salad.
Plump Cherry Tomatoes: Bring a burst of color, sweetness, and juiciness to the salad, enhancing its overall appeal.
Purple Cabbage: Adds a regal crunch and vibrant purple hue, providing texture and visual interest.
Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice: Infuses a citrusy note, brightening the salad dressing and adding a tangy flavor.
Mayonnaise: Creates a velvety base for the salad dressing, contributing a rich and smooth texture.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil: Offers the liquid gold from the groves, enhancing the dressing’s richness and providing a subtle fruity flavor.
Low-Sodium Soy Sauce: Provides umami depth, adding a savory and salty element to the dressing.
Premium Dijon Mustard or Regular Mustard: Adds a zesty kick and helps emulsify the dressing, enhancing its flavor profile.
Golden Brown Sugar: Introduces a sweet touch, balancing the acidity and saltiness in the dressing.
Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper: Used for perfect seasoning, these elements enhance the overall taste of the salad dressing.
Garlic: Contributes aromatic magic, infusing the dressing with a pungent and savory flavor.
Step 1: Preparing Nish Nosh Crackers
If necessary, take a moment to crush the Nish Nosh crackers into delightful bite-sized pieces. Achieve this by placing them in a sealed plastic bag and applying a gentle touch with a rolling pin. This ensures a texture that perfectly complements the salad.
Step 2: Precision in Vegetable Artistry
Embark on a journey of vegetable artistry by finely slicing the red onion. Follow this by chopping the hearts of romaine lettuce into inviting bite-sized pieces. Enhance the visual appeal and taste by halving the cherry tomatoes.
Step 3: Shred the Purple Cabbage
Craft an elegant touch by finely shredding the purple cabbage. Whether employing a sharp knife or a mandoline, this step introduces a layer of visual sophistication and a satisfying crunch.
Step 4: Mastering the Salad Dressing
In a mixing bowl, orchestrate a symphony of flavors by whisking together freshly squeezed lemon juice, creamy mayonnaise, extra virgin olive oil, low-sodium soy sauce, Dijon mustard, golden brown sugar, minced garlic, salt, and freshly ground black pepper. Achieve a well-combined and smooth dressing with each whisk.
Step 5: Assembling the Salad Canvas
In a generously sized salad bowl, bring together the crushed Nish Nosh crackers, sliced red onion, chopped romaine lettuce, halved cherry tomatoes, and finely shredded purple cabbage. This step is an artistic composition, creating a canvas for a diverse range of textures and flavors.
Step 6: Drizzling
Drizzle the meticulously prepared salad dressing over the curated ingredients. Pay attention to ensure that the dressing gracefully coats each element, bringing an element of tasteful elegance to the ensemble.
Step 7: Tossing with a Gentle Touch
Treat the salad with a gentle toss, allowing all the ingredients to dance together seamlessly. This step ensures an even coating of the delicious dressing, creating a harmonious blend of flavors and textures.
Step 8: Serve
Present the Nish Nosh Salad immediately, allowing enthusiasts to revel in the crispiness of the crackers and the pristine freshness of the vegetables. Immediate serving guarantees an optimal culinary experience.
Step 9: Savoring the Crunch
Whether it’s the crunch of the crackers, the freshness of the vegetables, or the delightful dressing, relish the culinary pleasure embedded in every bite of this uniquely crafted Nish Nosh Salad. Each mouthful is an invitation to savor and appreciate the artistry in flavors and textures.
• Use a variety of vegetables for a more colorful and flavorful salad.
• Use fresh herbs for the best flavor.
• If you don’t have feta cheese, you can use crumbled goat cheese instead.
• You can also add chickpeas or black beans for added protein.
• Add a few spoonfuls of Greek yogurt for a creamier texture.
• You can also add diced avocado and diced red onion for an extra kick of flavor.
A serving of nish nosh salad (1/4 of the recipe) contains:
• 269 calories
• 7.7 g fat
• 4.3 g carbohydrates
• 2.7 g protein
• 2.2 g fiber
What to Serve With Nish Nosh Salad?
• Grilled Chicken
• Roasted vegetables
• Baked fish
• Brown rice
• Pita bread
What Other Substitutes Can I Use in Nish Nosh Salad?
• Cucumber – Celery, zucchini, or jicama
• Bell pepper – Roasted red peppers
• Red onion – Shallots, green onions, or chives
• Radishes – Carrots, beets, or jicama
• Feta cheese – Goat cheese, ricotta cheese, or mozzarella cheese
• Olives – Capers, sun-dried tomatoes, or artichoke hearts
- chopping board
- 1.5 Cups of Nish Nosh Crackers the crispy bites
- 1/2 Medium Red Onion finely sliced
- 3 Hearts of Romaine Lettuce the crisp green base
- 1.5 Cups of Plump Cherry Tomatoes the burst of color
- 1/2 Head of Purple Cabbage the regal crunch
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice the citrusy note
- 1/2 Cup of Creamy Mayonnaise the velvety base
- 1/4 Cup of Extra Virgin Olive Oil the liquid gold from the grove
- 1 Tablespoon of Low-Sodium Soy Sauce for the umami depth
- 2 Teaspoons of Premium Dijon Mustard or Regular Mustard the zesty kick
- 4 Tablespoons of Golden Brown Sugar the sweet touch
- A Pinch Each of Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper for the perfect seasoning
- 2 Cloves of Garlic minced, the aromatic magic
- If needed, crush the Nish Nosh crackers into bite-sized pieces. You can do this by placing them in a sealed plastic bag and gently crushing them with a rolling pin.
- Finely slice the red onion and chop the hearts of romaine lettuce into bite-sized pieces. Cut the cherry tomatoes in halves.
- Shred the purple cabbage finely. You can use a sharp knife or a mandoline for this task.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the freshly squeezed lemon juice, creamy mayonnaise, extra virgin olive oil, low-sodium soy sauce, Dijon mustard, golden brown sugar, minced garlic, salt, and freshly ground black pepper. Whisk until the dressing is well combined and smooth.
- In a large salad bowl, combine the crushed Nish Nosh crackers, sliced red onion, chopped romaine lettuce, halved cherry tomatoes, and shredded purple cabbage.
- Drizzle the prepared salad dressing over the salad ingredients. Ensure that the dressing coats the ingredients evenly.
- Gently toss the salad to combine all the ingredients and coat them with the delicious dressing.
- Serve the Nish Nosh Salad immediately to enjoy the crispness of the crackers and the freshness of the vegetables.
- Use a variety of vegetables for a more colorful and flavorful salad.
- Use fresh herbs for the best flavor.
- If you don’t have feta cheese, you can use crumbled goat cheese instead.
- You can also add chickpeas or black beans for added protein.
- Add a few spoonfuls of Greek yogurt for a creamier texture.
- You can also add diced avocado and diced red onion for an extra kick of flavor.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. How long does Nish Nosh’s salad last in the fridge?
A1. Leftover nish nosh salad can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Q2. Is Nish Nosh’s salad vegan?
A2. Yes, nish nosh salad is vegan as long as you omit the feta cheese.
Q3. Can I use canned vegetables for this recipe?
A3. No, it is best to use fresh vegetables for the best flavor and texture.
Q4. What type of dressing can I use for nish nosh salad?
A4. You can use any vinaigrette or creamy dressing of your choice.
Q5. Is Nish Nosh’s salad gluten-free?
A5. Yes, nish nosh salad is naturally gluten-free.
Q6. Can I add protein to the salad?
A6. Yes, you can add cooked chicken, steak, salmon, or shrimp to the salad for a complete meal.
Q7. Is Nish Nosh’s salad healthy?
A7. Yes, nish nosh salad is a healthy and nutritious dish that is packed with vitamins and minerals.
Nish nosh salad is a delicious and nutritious dish that is perfect for any occasion. It is easy to make and can be served as a side dish or as a main course. The combination of flavors and textures makes this salad truly unique and memorable.
It is packed with vitamins and minerals and can be made with any type of vegetables, herbs, and dressing of your choice. Whether you are looking for a light lunch or a side dish for dinner, nish nosh salad is sure to please!
You’ll also like these latest recipes!
Lori Walker is a passionate dietitian and food lover. She offers simple and nutritious recipes that don't take long to cook. In addition to sharing delicious dishes, she also shares useful advice on saving time and money in the kitchen. She believes that with a bit of creativity, anyone can make healthy meals that won't break the bank. Read more