Last Updated on November 17, 2023
Long John Silver’s Tartar Sauce is a classic condiment enjoyed by seafood lovers all around the world.
The creamy, tangy sauce is the perfect accompaniment to fish, shrimp, and other seafood dishes.
If you’ve ever wondered how to make this delicious condiment yourself, this recipe will show you how!
What is Long John Silver’s Tartar Sauce?
Long John Silver’s is an American chain of fast-food restaurants known for its seafood dishes, particularly its fried fish and chips. One of the most popular menu items at Long John Silver’s is their creamy and tangy tartar sauce, a perfect accompaniment to their signature battered fish.
This Sauce is a classic condiment made up of mayonnaise, pickles, capers, and a few other ingredients that give it its unique flavor. It’s creamy, tangy, and slightly sweet, making it the perfect accompaniment to seafood dishes.
The sauce has been a staple in the seafood restaurant chain Long John Silver’s since the restaurant was founded in 1969.
Why You’ll Love This Long John Silver’s Tartar Sauce?
This recipe for Long John Silver’s Tartar Sauce is easy to make and tastes just like the real thing.
It’s the perfect accompaniment to fish, shrimp, and other seafood dishes. Plus, it’s a great way to add some extra flavor to your meals.
You’ll also like the following Sauce recipes!
- How to make Truffle Hot Sauce
- Chick Fil a Honey Roasted BBQ Sauce
- Qdoba Citrus Lime Vinaigrette Copycat Recipe
The heavy mayonnaise: This is the base of the sauce and provides a creamy texture.
The diced pickles: The tangy and crunchy pickles add a refreshing element to the sauce.
Diced dill pickles: This adds extra pickle intensity and a specific dill flavor to the sauce.
The fresh dill: This herb adds an earthy and fragrant flavor that enhances the overall taste experience.
The diced onions: These provide a savory and pungent note that balances out the other ingredients.
The salt and black pepper: These are essential seasonings that bring out the flavors of the other ingredients.
The lemon juice: This adds a zesty and citrusy brightness that cuts through the richness of the sauce.
Step by Step Instructions
1. In a medium bowl, combine the mayonnaise, dill pickle, diced onions, dill, salt, pepper, and lemon juice.
2. Mix all the ingredients until combined.
3. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper if needed.
4. Transfer the tartar sauce to a small bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
5. Place the bowl in the refrigerator and let it chill for at least 30 minutes before serving.
• For a creamier tartar sauce, add a tablespoon of sour cream or yogurt.
• If you don’t have capers on hand, you can use olives instead.
• You can also add a teaspoon of horseradish for added flavor.
• You can use sweet or dill pickle relish, whichever you prefer.
• Make sure to taste the tartar sauce and adjust the seasoning if needed.
Total Fat: 27g
Saturated Fat: 4g
How to Store Long John Silver’s Tartar Sauce?
Once you’ve made the tartar sauce, you should store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It should keep for up to one week.
- measuring cup
- a medium bowl
- Plastic wrap
- 4 tablespoons diced dill pickles: Introducing an extra layer of pickle intensity the diced dill pickles contribute a specific dill flavor, enhancing the overall complexity with a herbal and slightly sour kick.
- 2 cups heavy mayonnaise: Serving as the luxurious and creamy base the mayonnaise imparts a velvety texture, creating a rich and indulgent sauce that forms the backbone of this savory creation.
- 1/2 cup diced pickles: Adding a crisp and tangy crunch the diced pickles contribute a refreshing texture to the sauce, balancing the creaminess with bursts of flavor and a delightful bite.
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill: Elevating the herbal profile the fresh dill adds a fragrant and earthy quality, contributing a burst of garden-fresh flavor that enhances the overall taste experience.
- 4 tablespoons onions diced: Infusing a pungent and savory note, the diced onions bring depth to the sauce, providing a robust and aromatic quality that complements the other ingredients.
- 1/2 teaspoon salt: Serving as the essential seasoning the salt harmonizes the flavors, ensuring a well-balanced and savory sauce that highlights the individual qualities of each ingredient.
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper: Offering a mild heat and subtle warmth the black pepper rounds out the flavor profile, adding a touch of spice that complements the creaminess of the mayonnaise and the tanginess of the pickles.
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice: Providing a zesty and citrusy brightness the lemon juice adds a refreshing element, cutting through the richness of the mayonnaise and balancing the flavors with a hint of acidity.
- Dice the dill pickles, onions, and fresh dill.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, diced pickles, diced dill pickles, chopped fresh dill, diced onions, salt, black pepper, and lemon juice.
- Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if needed.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Serve chilled as a condiment for seafood dishes or use as a dip for your favorite snacks.
- Enjoy your homemade Long John Silver’s Tartar Sauce!
- For a creamier tartar sauce, add a tablespoon of sour cream or yogurt.
- If you don’t have capers on hand, you can use olives instead.
- You can also add a teaspoon of horseradish for added flavor.
- You can use sweet or dill pickle relish, whichever you prefer.
- Make sure to taste the tartar sauce and adjust the seasoning if needed.
• Add a tablespoon of chopped fresh parsley or dill for added flavor.
• Add a teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce for a bit of umami flavor.
• Add a tablespoon of honey for a bit of sweetness.
• Add a teaspoon of hot sauce for a bit of heat.
• Add a tablespoon of diced pickles for extra crunch.
Long John Silver’s Tartar Sauce is a classic condiment that’s perfect for seafood dishes. This recipe is easy to make and tastes just like the real thing. With a few simple ingredients, you can make this delicious condiment at home in no time. Enjoy!
You’ll also like these latest recipes!
- Texas Roadhouse Honey Mustard Copycat Recipe
- How to make Louisiana Licker Sauce
- Ghost Chips Ahoy Protein Shake
Lori Walker is a passionate dietitian and food lover. She offers simple and nutritious recipes that don't take long to cook. In addition to sharing delicious dishes, she also shares useful advice on saving time and money in the kitchen. She believes that with a bit of creativity, anyone can make healthy meals that won't break the bank. Read more