Last Updated on November 12, 2023
Craving some delicious Chinese food?
Why not try making your own version of Panda Express Bourbon Chicken at home!
This dish is a Chinese-style stir-fry with boneless chicken thighs, sweetened with a tangy bourbon-flavored sauce.
Not only is it easy to make, but it’s also incredibly tasty and perfect for a quick weeknight dinner. Plus, you can adjust the spiciness of the dish to suit your tastes. So, let’s get cooking!
What is Panda Express Bourbon Chicken?
Panda Express is an American fast-food restaurant chain known for its American-Chinese cuisine. This bourbon chicken recipe is one of their most popular dishes, made with a combination of sweet and savory flavors that make it so addictive.
The dish is usually served with steamed white rice and is often accompanied by a side of vegetables.
What does it taste like?
Panda Express Bourbon Chicken has a sweet and savory flavor with a hint of bourbon. The whiskey adds a subtle smokiness to the dish that pairs nicely with the sweet and tangy sauce.
The chicken is tender and juicy, and the vegetables provide a nice crunch to the dish.
All in all, this is a delicious and flavorful meal that is sure to please everyone at the table.
You’ll also like the following Dinner recipes!
The Panda Express Bourbon Chicken Recipe is made with simple, fresh ingredients. Here what you’ll need:
- Chicken breasts: This is the main ingredient of the dish, and it is best to use boneless chicken breasts for easy cooking.
- Garlic: These aromatics add a depth of flavor to the sauce and are essential in any Asian-style dish.
- Vegetable oil: This is used for cooking the chicken and vegetables and gives a nice golden color to the dish.
- Bourbon: The alcohol is a key ingredient in this recipe as it adds flavor to the dish. You can adjust the amount of bourbon depending on your preference.
- Honey: Adds a touch of sweetness and helps balance out the tanginess of the sauce.
- Soy sauce: A staple in Chinese cuisine, soy sauce adds a savory element to the dish.
- Cornstarch: Used as a thickener for the sauce, cornstarch helps give the dish a glossy finish.
- Sugar: This adds sweetness to balance out the savory flavors in the dish.
- Vinegar: This adds a nice tangy flavor to the dish and helps balance out the sweetness from the sugar and honey.
- Green onions: These are used as a garnish for added freshness and crunch.
Step 1: Marinate the Chicken
In a medium bowl, combine the chicken, soy sauce, honey, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Mix until the chicken is well-coated. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to develop.
Step 2: Make the Sauce
In a small saucepan, combine the bourbon, soy sauce, honey, and cornstarch. Whisk until the cornstarch is dissolved. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the sauce is thick and glossy. Remove from the heat and set aside.
Step 3: Stir-fry the Chicken
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the marinated chicken and cook until it is golden brown and cooked through.
Step 4: Add the Sauce
Add the sauce to the skillet and stir to coat the chicken and vegetables. Simmer for a few minutes, until the sauce is thick and bubbly.
Step 5: Serve
Serve the Panda Express Bourbon Chicken with steamed white rice. Enjoy!
– Use boneless, skinless chicken thighs for the best flavor and texture.
– Make sure to marinate the chicken for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to develop.
– Use good quality bourbon whiskey for the best flavor.
– Adjust the amount of red pepper flakes to suit your taste.
– Cook the sauce until it is thick and glossy.
– Serve the chicken with steamed white rice for a complete meal.
Saturated Fat: 17g
What to serve with Panda Express Bourbon Chicken?
– Steamed white rice
– Fried rice
– Lo mein
– Egg rolls
– Vegetable spring rolls
– Sesame noodles
– Stir-fried vegetables
How to store leftover Panda Express Bourbon Chicken?
Leftover Panda Express Bourbon Chicken can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop before serving.
What other substitute can I use in Panda Express Bourbon Chicken?
– For the chicken: You can use boneless, skinless chicken breasts instead of chicken thighs.
– For the bourbon: If you don’t have any bourbon on hand, you can substitute it with dry sherry or apple juice.
– For the soy sauce: You can use tamari or coconut aminos instead of soy sauce.
– For the honey: You can substitute with agave nectar or maple syrup.
– For the garlic: You can use garlic powder or freshly minced garlic.
– For the cornstarch: You can substitute with arrowroot starch or tapioca starch.
- Large bowl
- Large skillet
- Knife and Cutting board
- 8 pounds Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts: Generous portions of lean and versatile chicken breasts that will soak up the bold flavors of the marinade ensuring a tender and flavorful outcome.
- 1 cup Low Sodium Soy Sauce: Provide a savory and salty foundation to the marinade imparting a rich umami flavor that enhances the taste of the chicken.
- 2 cups Bourbon: Infuse a robust and smoky undertone into the dish with the addition of bourbon creating a complex and sophisticated flavor profile for the chicken.
- 4 tsp freshly grated Ginger: Introduce a zesty and aromatic element with freshly grated ginger elevating the dish with its warm and slightly spicy notes.
- 4 cloves Minced Garlic: Enhance the savory character of the marinade with grated garlic providing a pungent and robust flavor that complements the other ingredients.
- Vegetable Oil adjust as needed for cooking: Ensure a smooth cooking process and prevent sticking with vegetable oil, contributing to the overall succulence and texture of the chicken.
- 1 cup Vinegar: Add a tangy and acidic kick to balance the sweetness and saltiness contributing to a well-rounded and vibrant flavor profile.
- 1 cup Brown Sugar: Sweeten the marinade with brown sugar creating a harmonious balance of sweetness that caramelizes during cooking, resulting in a flavorful glaze for the chicken.
- 4 tbsp Cornstarch: Thicken the sauce to a desirable consistency creating a velvety and glossy coating that clings to the chicken, enhancing both flavor and presentation.
- 30 chopped Green Onions for garnish: Add a fresh and vibrant touch to the finished dish with chopped green onions providing a burst of color and a mild, onion-like flavor.
- 1 cup Water: Dilute and balance the intensity of the marinade ensuring the chicken absorbs the flavors without becoming overly salty or concentrated.
- In a medium bowl, combine the chicken, soy sauce, honey, garlic, and red pepper flakes to marinate the chicken.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to develop.
- In a small saucepan, combine bourbon, soy sauce, honey, and cornstarch. Whisk until cornstarch is dissolved.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the sauce is thick and glossy. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and cook the marinated chicken until golden brown and cooked through.
- Add the sauce to the skillet and stir to coat the chicken and vegetables. Simmer for a few minutes until the sauce is thick and bubbly.
- Serve with steamed white rice and garnish with chopped green onions. Enjoy your homemade Panda Express Bourbon Chicken!
- Use boneless, skinless chicken thighs for the best flavor and texture.
- Make sure to marinate the chicken for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to develop.
- Use good quality bourbon whiskey for the best flavor.
- Adjust the amount of red pepper flakes to suit your taste.
- Cook the sauce until it is thick and glossy.
- Serve the chicken with steamed white rice for a complete meal.
Frequently Asked Questions
What type of vegetables can I use in the dish?
You can use any vegetables you have on hand. Broccoli, bell peppers, and carrots work well.
Can I make this dish ahead of time?
Yes, you can make the dish ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Can I freeze this dish?
Yes, you can freeze the dish for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
Is this dish gluten-free?
Yes, this dish is gluten-free as long as you use a gluten-free soy sauce or tamari.
Is this dish vegan?
No, this dish is not vegan as it contains chicken and honey.
Panda Express Bourbon Chicken is a delicious and easy-to-make stir-fry dish that is perfect for a quick weeknight dinner. The sweet and tangy sauce is flavored with bourbon whiskey and is sure to please everyone at the table.
Plus, you can adjust the spiciness of the dish to suit your tastes. So, give this recipe a try and you won’t be disappointed!
You’ll also like these latest recipes!
Rebecca Novak is a trained chef with over 10 years of experience in the food industry. She has worked in both fine dining and casual Hungarian restaurants and specializes in creating dishes using fresh, seasonal ingredients. She also loves exploring different cuisines worldwide, which allows her to bring unique flavors and ideas to the recipes she creates for Hungarianchef.com. Read more