Last Updated on January 19, 2024
Hoffman House Cocktail Sauce is a classic sauce made with a blend of spices, horseradish, and ketchup. It’s a classic recipe for seafood dishes and it’s a great way to give your seafood dishes some added flavor. It’s easy to make and you can find the ingredients in most grocery stores.
In this blog post, we’ll walk you through the details of the Hoffman House Cocktail Sauce recipe, including ingredients, directions, nutrition information, tips, and what to serve with the sauce. We’ll also cover how to store leftovers and what substitutes you can use in the recipe.
What is Hoffman House Cocktail Sauce?
Hoffman House Cocktail Sauce is a classic condiment made with ketchup, horseradish, and other spices. It was created by the Hoffman House restaurant in Chicago in the early 1900s and it has been a popular sauce ever since.
Amidst the culinary treasures offered by Hoffman House, the Cocktail Sauce stands out as a classic accompaniment that elevates seafood dining to new heights.
Crafted with a meticulous blend of flavors, the Hoffman House Cocktail Sauce is a testament to the artistry that has defined this esteemed establishment for generations.
What Does It Taste Like?
Hoffman House Cocktail Sauce has a unique flavor that is tangy, spicy, and slightly sweet. The combination of ketchup, horseradish, Worcestershire sauce, and other spices creates a unique flavor that is both familiar and unique.
The horseradish gives the sauce a slight kick, while the ketchup adds sweetness and the other spices give it a depth of flavor.
You’ll also like the following Sauce recipes!
- Hellofresh Sweet Soy Glaze Copycat Recipe
- How to make Prego Spaghetti Sauce
- Jalapeno Tree Green Sauce
- Chili Sauce Mild: Provides a gentle heat from the pepper grove, adding a subtle spiciness to the cocktail sauce without overwhelming the palate.
- Worcestershire: Contributes an umami elixir from culinary alchemy, enhancing the depth of flavor with its savory and tangy notes.
- Ketchup: Forms the tangy tomato tapestry, offering a sweet and acidic base that complements the other ingredients.
- Hot Sauce: Adds a spicy waltz on the taste buds, providing a kick to elevate the overall flavor profile of the cocktail sauce.
- Lemon Juice: Infuses a citrusy zest to elevate the sauce, bringing a bright and refreshing element that balances the richness.
- Horseradish: The bold root’s fiery ballet, introduces a pungent and spicy kick that enhances the sauce’s complexity.
- Salt: The sea’s whisper for culinary harmony, balancing flavors and accentuating the natural tastes of the other ingredients in the cocktail sauce.
Step 1: Gather Ingredients:
Embark on your culinary journey by ensuring all the ingredients are gathered and measured, ready to take center stage in the creation of the cocktail sauce.
Step 2: Combine Chili Sauce and Ketchup:
In a mixing bowl, let the symphony begin by combining the rich tones of chili sauce with the familiar melody of ketchup. Stir this duet until they harmonize into a perfect blend of flavors.
Step 3: Add Worcestershire Sauce:
Bring in the next character, Worcestershire Sauce, to join the ensemble. Stirring diligently, ensures that this supporting note seamlessly integrates with the existing melody.
Step 4: Introduce Hot Sauce:
Heighten the intrigue by adding dashes of hot sauce, letting the spice build with each drop. Adjust this element according to your preference for a symphony of flavors.
Step 5: Squeeze Lemon Juice:
Bring a refreshing twist to the composition by squeezing fresh lemon juice into the mix. The citrusy overture will add brightness and depth to the overall composition.
Step 6: Incorporate Horseradish:
Introduce the bold and fiery character of horseradish. Watch as it adds a kick, contributing layers of complexity to the sauce.
Step 7: Season with Salt:
Sprinkle in the seasoning, and salt, to elevate the flavors. Tread lightly and adjust based on your taste preferences, letting the sauce reach the perfect savory crescendo.
Step 8: Mix Thoroughly:
Conduct the orchestra of ingredients, ensuring a thorough mix. Let each component play its part in creating a well-combined and flavorful sauce.
Step 9: Refrigerate:
Grant the ensemble a moment to rest and develop as you refrigerate the cocktail sauce for at least an hour. This backstage time allows the flavors to meld and intensify.
Step 10: Serve and Enjoy:
As the curtain rises, present the Hoffman House Cocktail Sauce with your favorite seafood, whether it be shrimp or oysters. Delight in the symphony of tangy, spicy, and savory flavors that this sauce brings to your culinary experience!
• Use fresh horseradish for the best flavor.
• Feel free to adjust the seasonings to your preference.
• If you don’t have Worcestershire sauce, you can substitute soy sauce or fish sauce.
• The sauce can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to one week.
• You can also freeze the sauce for up to three months.
• For a thicker sauce, add a tablespoon of cornstarch and mix it into the sauce.
A single serving of Hoffman House Cocktail Sauce contains about 70 calories, 0 grams of fat, 16 grams of carbohydrates, and 3 grams of protein.
What to Serve With Hoffman House Cocktail Sauce?
Hoffman House Cocktail Sauce is the perfect accompaniment to seafood dishes. Here are some suggestions for what to serve with the sauce:
• Fried shrimp
• Grilled salmon
• Baked fish
• Crab cakes
• Lobster tails
• Crab legs
What Other Substitute Can I Use in Hoffman House Cocktail Sauce?
If you don’t have all the ingredients for the Hoffman House Cocktail Sauce, here are some substitutes you can use:
• Tomato paste instead of ketchup
• Prepared horseradish instead of fresh horseradish
• Soy sauce or fish sauce instead of Worcestershire sauce
• White vinegar or apple cider vinegar instead of lemon juice
• Onion flakes instead of onion powder
• Garlic flakes instead of garlic powder
• Smoked paprika instead of regular paprika
• Maple syrup or honey instead of sugar
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring cups
- 1 Cup of Chili Sauce Mild a Gentle Heat from the Pepper Grove
- 2 Teaspoons of Worcestershire an Umami Elixir from the Culinary Alchemy
- 1 Cup of Ketchup the Tangy Tomato Tapestry
- 4 Dashes of Hot Sauce for a Spicy Waltz on the Taste Buds
- 4 Tablespoons of Lemon Juice a Citrusy Zest to Elevate
- 2 Tablespoons of Horseradish the Bold Root’s Fiery Ballet
- ½ Teaspoon of Salt the Sea’s Whisper for Culinary Harmony
- Ensure you have all the ingredients ready and measured for a smooth preparation.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the chili sauce and ketchup. Stir well to create a harmonious blend of flavors.
- Incorporate the Worcestershire sauce into the mixture. Stir thoroughly to ensure even distribution.
- Add the dashes of hot sauce to the mixture. Adjust the amount according to your desired level of spiciness.
- Squeeze fresh lemon juice into the sauce. The citrusy notes will add a zesty and refreshing element.
- Add the horseradish to the mixture. Horseradish brings a bold and fiery kick, enhancing the overall flavor profile.
- Sprinkle in the salt to enhance the flavors. Adjust the salt according to your taste preferences.
- Mix all the ingredients thoroughly, ensuring that the sauce is well combined.
- For optimal flavor, refrigerate the cocktail sauce for at least an hour before serving. This allows the flavors to meld and intensify.
- Serve the Hoffman House Cocktail Sauce with your favorite seafood, such as shrimp or oysters. Enjoy the delightful blend of tangy, spicy, and savory flavors!
- Use fresh horseradish for the best flavor.
- Feel free to adjust the seasonings to your preference.
- If you don’t have Worcestershire sauce, you can substitute soy sauce or fish sauce.
- The sauce can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to one week.
- You can also freeze the sauce for up to three months.
- For a thicker sauce, add a tablespoon of cornstarch and mix it into the sauce.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. How Long Does Hoffman House Cocktail Sauce Last?
A: Hoffman House Cocktail Sauce can last up to one week in the refrigerator and up to three months in the freezer.
Q2. Is Hoffman House Cocktail Sauce Spicy?
A: The Hoffman House Cocktail Sauce is not overly spicy, but it does have a bit of kick from the horseradish.
Q3. What Is a Good Substitute for Worcestershire Sauce?
A: Soy sauce or fish sauce are both good substitutes for Worcestershire sauce in the Hoffman House Cocktail Sauce recipe.
Q4. Can I Use Canned Horseradish Instead of Fresh?
A: Yes, you can use canned horseradish instead of fresh horseradish in the Hoffman House Cocktail Sauce recipe.
Q5. Can I Use Other Spices in the Hoffman House Cocktail Sauce?
A: Yes, you can use other spices in the Hoffman House Cocktail Sauce. Some good options include cayenne, chili powder, mustard powder, and black pepper.
Q6. Can I Use Other Types of Vinegar in the Hoffman House Cocktail Sauce?
A: Yes, you can use other types of vinegar in the Hoffman House Cocktail Sauce. White vinegar or apple cider vinegar are both good options.
Q7. Can I Make Hoffman House Cocktail Sauce Ahead of Time?
A: Yes, you can make the Hoffman House Cocktail Sauce ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator or freezer.
Hoffman House Cocktail Sauce is a classic condiment made with ketchup, horseradish, and other spices. It adds a unique flavor to seafood dishes that are both familiar and unique.
The recipe is easy to make and the ingredients can be found in most grocery stores. If you don’t have all the ingredients, there are several substitutes that you can use. With this classic recipe, you can give your seafood dishes an added kick of flavor.
You’ll also like these latest recipes!
Lori Walker is a passionate dietitian and food lover. She offers simple and nutritious recipes that don't take long to cook. In addition to sharing delicious dishes, she also shares useful advice on saving time and money in the kitchen. She believes that with a bit of creativity, anyone can make healthy meals that won't break the bank. Read more