Last Updated on November 19, 2023
Fried chicken has been a staple in many cultures throughout the world for centuries. In America, fried chicken is a favorite comfort food that has been passed down from generation to generation.
One of the most popular recipes for fried chicken is the Brenda Gantt Fried Chicken Recipe. This recipe has been passed down from Brenda Gantt, an American woman originally from North Carolina, and is now enjoyed by many people across the United States.
What is Brenda Gantt Fried Chicken?
Brenda Gantt is a popular YouTuber known for sharing Southern cooking recipes. She gained popularity for her down-to-earth approach to cooking and her charming personality.The Brenda Gantt Fried Chicken Recipe is her one of the delicious southern-style fried chicken dishes.
It is a simple yet flavorful recipe that is sure to please the whole family. The recipe calls for chicken thighs or legs that are marinated in a mixture of buttermilk, garlic, and spices.
The chicken is then dredged in a seasoned flour mixture and fried to a golden brown. The result is a crunchy and juicy fried chicken dish that is sure to become a family favorite.
Why You’ll Love This Brenda Gantt Fried Chicken Recipe?
This Brenda Gantt Fried Chicken Recipe is a great way to get a delicious fried chicken dish without having to go to a restaurant. It requires minimal ingredients and is easy to prepare.
The marinade infuses the chicken with flavor and keeps it moist and juicy when cooked. The seasoned flour mixture creates a crunchy, golden crust that is sure to be a hit with the whole family.
You’ll also like the following Appetizer recipes!
How Does It Taste Like?
The Brenda Gantt Fried Chicken Recipe has a delicious flavor that is sure to please everyone. The marinade infuses the chicken with garlic and spices, while the seasoned flour mixture creates a crunchy crust. The result is a juicy and flavorful fried chicken dish that is sure to be a hit at any gathering.
Chicken thighs/legs: Juiciness & flavor
Buttermilk: Tenderizes & flavors
Garlic (minced): Aromatic flavor boost
Paprika: Adds smoky depth
Garlic powder: Intensifies taste
Onion powder: Enhances flavor profile
Dried thyme: Earthy herbaceousness
Salt & pepper: Seasoning balance
All-purpose flour: Coating & texture
Baking powder: Crispness enhancer
Ground black pepper: Adds heat
Vegetable oil: Frying medium
Step by Step Directions
Step 1: Marinate the Chicken
In a large bowl, combine the buttermilk, garlic, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, salt, and pepper. Add the chicken pieces and stir until all of the pieces are evenly coated. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
Step 2: Prepare the Flour Mixture
In a shallow dish, combine the all-purpose flour, baking powder, black pepper, garlic powder, and paprika. Mix together until everything is evenly combined.
Step 3: Dredge the Chicken
Remove the chicken from the marinade and discard the marinade. Dip each piece of chicken into the flour mixture and coat evenly. Shake off any excess flour.
Step 4: Fry the Chicken
Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the chicken pieces (in batches if necessary) and fry for 8-10 minutes, flipping the chicken halfway through. The chicken should be golden brown and crispy. Remove the chicken from the skillet and let it rest on a paper towel-lined plate.
Step 5: Serve
Serve the fried chicken with your favorite sides and enjoy!
– Make sure the chicken is fully coated in the marinade before refrigerating.
– Make sure the oil is hot before adding the chicken to the skillet.
– Flip the chicken halfway through cooking to ensure even cooking.
– Let the chicken rest on a paper towel-lined plate after cooking to absorb any excess oil.
– Add your favorite seasonings to the flour mixture to give the chicken extra flavor.
One serving of the Brenda Gantt Fried Chicken Recipe (one thigh or leg) contains approximately 286 calories, 14.7 g fat, 1.8 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 32.4 g protein, and 7.6 g carbohydrates.
How to Store Brenda Gantt Fried Chicken Recipe
The fried chicken can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat the chicken in a skillet over medium-low heat until it is warmed through.
What Other Substitute Can I Use in Brenda Gantt Fried Chicken Recipe?
There are several ingredients that can be substituted in the Brenda Gantt Fried Chicken Recipe. Instead of buttermilk, you can use plain yogurt or sour cream. Instead of all-purpose flour, you can use almond flour or coconut flour. Instead of vegetable oil, you can use olive oil or coconut oil.
- 4 to 5 chicken thighs or legs
- 1 cup of tangy buttermilk
- 2 cloves of garlic minced finely
- 2 teaspoons of flavorful paprika
- 1 teaspoon of aromatic garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder for depth
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme for herbal essence
- Salt and pepper according to your liking
- 1 cup of versatile all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder for a light crunch
- 1 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of savory garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of smoky paprika
- Vegetable oil for frying enough for a deep fry
- In a bowl, combine the chicken pieces with the buttermilk, minced garlic, 2 teaspoons of paprika, 1 teaspoon each of garlic powder and onion powder, dried thyme, and salt and pepper to taste. Ensure the chicken is fully coated. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or preferably overnight to infuse flavors.
- In a separate bowl, mix the all-purpose flour, baking powder, ground black pepper, 1 teaspoon of garlic powder, and 1 teaspoon each of paprika. Blend well to create the seasoned coating for the chicken.
- Take each marinated chicken piece and dredge it thoroughly in the seasoned flour mixture, ensuring an even and generous coating. Shake off excess flour and set aside on a plate.
- In a heavy-bottomed skillet or deep fryer, heat enough vegetable oil to submerge the chicken pieces. Heat the oil to around 350°F (175°C) for optimal frying temperature.
- Carefully place the coated chicken pieces into the hot oil, working in batches if necessary to avoid overcrowding the pan. Fry for about 12-15 minutes, turning occasionally, until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C) and the coating turns golden brown and crispy.
- Once cooked, transfer the fried chicken to a wire rack or paper towels to drain excess oil. Allow it to rest for a few minutes before serving to lock in the juices.
- Make sure the chicken is fully coated in the marinade before refrigerating.
- Make sure the oil is hot before adding the chicken to the skillet.
- Flip the chicken halfway through cooking to ensure even cooking.
- Let the chicken rest on a paper towel-lined plate after cooking to absorb any excess oil.
- Add your favorite seasonings to the flour mixture to give the chicken extra flavor.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1: Can I make the Brenda Gantt Fried Chicken Recipe with other types of chicken?
Yes, you can use other types of chicken such as chicken breast or chicken tenders. The cooking time may vary depending on the size and thickness of the chicken.
Q2: Can I use other spices in the marinade?
Yes, you can use other spices such as cumin, chili powder, or oregano to give the chicken extra flavor.
Q3: Can I bake the chicken instead of frying it?
Yes, you can bake the chicken in a preheated oven at 375°F for 25-30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
Q4: Should I use bone-in or boneless chicken?
Either bone-in or boneless chicken can be used for this recipe. If using boneless chicken, reduce the cooking time accordingly.
Q5: Can I use other types of oil for frying?
Yes, you can use other types of oil such as olive oil or coconut oil.
Q6: Can I use a different type of flour?
Yes, you can use a different type of flour such as almond flour or coconut flour.
Q7: Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
Yes, you can make the marinade and prepare the chicken a day ahead of time. Store the chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to cook.
The Brenda Gantt Fried Chicken Recipe is a delicious fried chicken dish that is sure to become a family favorite. The marinade infuses the chicken with flavorful spices and the seasoned flour mixture creates a crunchy, golden crust.
This recipe is easy to make and requires minimal ingredients. Give this recipe a try and enjoy the delicious flavor of homemade fried chicken!
You’ll also like these latest recipes!
- How to make Costco Pizza Sauce
- Costco Cranberry Orange Bisconie Copycat Recipe
- Costco Poppy Seed Dressing
Rebecca Novak is a trained chef with over 10 years of experience in the food industry. She has worked in both fine dining and casual Hungarian restaurants and specializes in creating dishes using fresh, seasonal ingredients. She also loves exploring different cuisines worldwide, which allows her to bring unique flavors and ideas to the recipes she creates for Hungarianchef.com. Read more