Last Updated on July 16, 2023
Bahama Breeze Beef Empanadas are a tasty and easy-to-make snack or appetizer. They’re a healthy alternative to other fried snacks. Empanadas are a popular dish in Latin America, and they make for an easy, delicious meal.
To top it off, a seasoned sour cream mixture is added for extra flavor and texture. This dish is sure to be a hit at your next gathering, so give it a try!
In this article, we’ll go over the recipe for Bahama Breeze Beef Empanadas as well as tips and tricks to make sure your empanadas turn out perfectly. We’ll also discuss nutrition information for this dish, so you can make an informed decision on whether or not it fits into your diet. So let’s get started!
What is Bahama Breeze Beef Empanadas?
Bahama Breeze Beef Empanadas are a popular Latin American dish from American Restaurant Bahama Breeze. It consists of a seasoned beef filling wrapped in a flaky pastry dough and baked until golden brown.
Empanadas can be served as an appetizer or snack, and they’re often topped with sour cream mixed with various spices for extra flavor. This dish is sure to be a hit at your next gathering!
What does it taste like?
Bahama Breeze Beef Empanadas have a savory, beefy flavor from the filling with just a hint of sweetness. The pastry dough is light and flaky, while the seasoned sour cream topping adds a tangy and creamy note.
The addition of spices like cumin and cayenne pepper adds a subtle warmth that rounds out the flavors.
You Might also Like These Appetizer Recipes!
- Ruth’s Chris Lyonnaise Potatoes Recipe (Copycat Version)
- Recipe for Great Value Chocolate Chip Cookie
- Kanawha County Schools Pepperoni Roll Recipe (Copycat Version)
How did I first get introduced to the Bahama Breeze Beef Empanadas?
I first had Bahama Breeze Beef Empanadas when I visited the Bahama Breeze restaurant in my city. I was intrigued by this unique dish and wanted to try it out.
The empanadas were so delicious that I knew I had to recreate them at home.
After a few tries, I got the recipe just right and now they’re one of my go-to party snacks!
How to make Bahama Breeze Beef Empanadas?
Making Bahama Breeze Beef Empanadas is a fairly simple and straightforward process. Here are the ingredients & step-by-step instructions:
All-purpose flour: This is the main ingredient in the dough for empanadas. It helps to bind all of the other ingredients together and gives it a light texture.
Kosher salt: This adds flavor and helps bring out all of the other flavors in the dish.
Salted butter: Used to give the dough a flaky, soft texture.
Vegetable oil: Used to help the dough bind and give it a light, crispy texture.
Whole milk: Used to moisten the dough and make it easier to work with.
Vegetable shortening: Gives the dough a richer flavor and helps keep it from becoming dry.
Eggs: Used to bind the dough together and give it a glossy finish.
Ground beef: Used for the filling of the empanadas; it provides flavor and texture.
Chicken broth: Adds moisture to the filling and helps keep it from becoming too dry.
Ground cayenne pepper, paprika, curry powder, and salt: Used to season the beef filling.
Yellow onion, parsley, russet potato, and julienned carrot: Added for flavor and texture in the beef filling.
Sour cream: Used as a topping on the empanadas; it helps add richness and tanginess to them.
Ground cumin, cilantro, salt, ground cayenne pepper, tomato, red bell pepper, and red onion: Used for the seasoned sour cream that’s served on top of the empanadas; it helps to add flavor and a pop of color.
Preheat oven to 375°F.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour and salt. Cut in butter, vegetable oil, milk, and shortening until it forms a crumbly mixture. Add eggs and mix until the dough comes together. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Meanwhile, brown ground beef in a skillet over medium heat. Drain off any fat and add chicken broth, cayenne pepper, paprika, onion, curry powder, salt, and parsley to the pan; cook until vegetables are tender. Remove from heat and let cool slightly before adding potatoes and carrots.
Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface and cut into 4-inch circles. Place a spoonful of filling on one half of each circle, fold over the other half, and crimp with a fork to seal.
Place empanadas on a greased baking sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Meanwhile, mix together the sour cream, cumin, cilantro, salt, cayenne pepper, tomato, bell pepper, and onion in a small bowl. Serve on top of empanadas.
– Use a 2-tablespoon cookie scoop to make sure each empanada has the same amount of filling.
– Brush the tops of the empanadas with an egg wash for extra crispiness and shine when they come out of the oven.
– Serve these warm or at room temperature; they can also be served as an appetizer or snack.
– For a vegetarian option, replace the beef with black beans and diced vegetables of your choice.
- 2 large baking sheets
- lined with parchment paper
- Large skillet
- Medium bowl
- Small bowl
For the Dough
- All-purpose flour, 2 cups
- Kosher salt, 3/4 teaspoon
- Vegetable oil, 6 to 10 cups
- Whole milk, 1/4 cup
- Vegetable shortening, 1/4 cup
- Eggs (lightly beaten), 2
For the filling
- Ground beef (not lean), 1/2 pound
- Chicken broth, 2 tablespoon
- Ground cayenne pepper, 1/8 teaspoon
- Paprika, 1/2 teaspoon
- Yellow onion (chopped), 2 tablespoon
- Curry powder, 1 teaspoon
- Salt, 1/4 teaspoon
- Parsley (finely minced), 1 teaspoon
- Russet potato (finely diced), 1/4 cup
- Julienned carrot, 1/4 cup
For the seasoned sour cream
- Sour cream, 1 cup
- Ground cumin, 1 pinch
- Cilantro (finely chopped), 1 tablespoon
- Salt, 1/4 teaspoon
- Ground cayenne pepper, 1/4 teaspoon
- Tomato (finely diced), 1/4 cup
- Red bell pepper (finely minced), 1 tablespoon
- Red onion (finely chopped), 1 tablespoon
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour and salt. Cut in butter, vegetable oil, milk, and shortening until it forms a crumbly mixture. Add eggs and mix until the dough comes together. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, brown ground beef in a skillet over medium heat. Drain off any fat and add chicken broth, cayenne pepper, paprika, onion, curry powder, salt, and parsley to the pan; cook until vegetables are tender. Remove from heat and let cool slightly before adding potatoes and carrots.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface and cut into 4-inch circles. Place a spoonful of filling on one half of each circle, fold over the other half, and crimp with a fork to seal.
- Place empanadas on a greased baking sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, mix together the sour cream, cumin, cilantro, salt, cayenne pepper, tomato, bell pepper, and onion in a small bowl. Serve on top of empanadas.
- Calories: 167 kcal
- Fat: 8 g
- Saturated fat: 3.5 g
- Cholesterol: 42 mg
- Sodium: 183 mg
- Carbohydrates: 18 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Sugar: 2 g
What to serve with Bahama Breeze Beef Empanadas?
Bahama Breeze Beef Empanadas are delicious when served with a variety of sides. Here are some ideas for the perfect accompaniments to these flavorful empanadas:
• Roasted vegetables such as bell peppers, sweet potatoes, onions, broccoli, or Brussels sprouts make for a nutritious side dish that pairs well with beef empanadas.
• A tropical fruit salad with mango, pineapple, and kiwi can help bring out the flavors of the meal and provide freshness as a contrast to the savory empanadas.
• Refried beans or black beans are a great source of protein and fiber that perfectly complement the beef filling in these empanadas.
• A light and refreshing side salad made with a mixture of greens, cucumbers, tomatoes, and carrots is a great way to round out the meal.
• For a sweet finish, why not top the empanadas with some shredded coconut or a dollop of whipped cream? This will surely bring a delightfully tropical flavor to the dish.
How to store leftover Bahama Breeze Beef Empanadas?
Leftover Bahama Breeze Beef Empanadas can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
They can also be frozen and reheated when ready to enjoy. To freeze, place empanadas on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and flash freeze for 1 hour.
Then transfer them to a freezer-safe container or bag and store them in the freezer for up to 3 months. To reheat, preheat oven to 350°F and bake until heated through about 15 minutes.
Can pregnant women eat this?
Yes, pregnant women may eat Bahama Breeze Beef Empanadas in moderation. The dish contains fresh ingredients and is low in unhealthy fats and other saturated fats, making it an excellent choice for those looking to maintain a healthy diet during pregnancy.
However, it is important to note that pregnant women should always follow food safety guidelines when preparing and consuming the dish.
Pregnant women should also monitor their portion sizes, as eating too much of any one food can lead to unwanted weight gain.
Can these empanadas be made ahead of time?
Yes, the beef filling for Bahama Breeze Beef Empanadas can be cooked and stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days before assembling and baking.
The dough can also be prepared in advance and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Are these empanadas spicy?
No, these empanadas are not spicy. The beef filling has a mild flavor with just a hint of garlic and onion. You can adjust the spice level by adding more or less of these ingredients to suit your preference.
Can I make these empanadas gluten-free?
Yes, you can make these empanadas gluten-free by substituting the regular flour in the dough recipe with a gluten-free flour alternative.
You can also use cornstarch instead of all-purpose flour to thicken the beef filling for added gluten-free options.
Bahama Breeze Beef Empanadas are a delicious and easy-to-make dish that is sure to please any crowd. With its savory beef filling wrapped in flaky pastry dough, this snack will be a hit at your next gathering!
Serve it with the seasoned sour cream topping for added texture and flavor. Be sure to check out the nutrition information before deciding if this dish is right for you!
Thank you for reading! We hope you enjoyed learning about Bahama Breeze Beef Empanadas. Now, it’s time to get cooking and enjoy this flavorful snack!
Sharing is Caring!
You Might Also Like These Latest Recipes!
- Recipe for Applebee’s Bourbon Street Chicken and Shrimp Recipe
- Flavor God Chicken Breast Recipe (Copycat Version)
- Recipe for Flavor God Taco Tuesday
Rebecca Novak is a trained chef with over 10 years of experience in the food industry. She has worked in both fine dining and casual Hungarian restaurants and specializes in creating dishes using fresh, seasonal ingredients. She also loves exploring different cuisines worldwide, which allows her to bring unique flavors and ideas to the recipes she creates for Hungarianchef.com. Read more