Last Updated on January 3, 2024
Broccoli is one of the most popular and versatile vegetables out there. It’s packed with vitamins and minerals, and it can be cooked in a variety of ways. One of the most delicious and easy-to-make broccoli recipes is the Applebees Broccoli Recipe.
This tasty dish is a crowd-pleaser with its creamy sauce and crunchy topping. In this blog post, we’ll explore this delicious recipe in detail, including what makes it so special, what ingredients are used, how to make it, and other helpful tips. Let’s get started!
What is Applebees Broccoli?
Applebee’s is renowned for its diverse American casual dining menu, catering to a wide range of tastes. With a warm and inviting ambiance, it remains a favored spot for families, friends, and relaxed dining experiences.
One of their most popular items is the Applebee’s Broccoli Recipe which is a classic side dish that can be found on the menus of many restaurants. It features fresh broccoli florets that are cooked in a creamy sauce and topped with crunchy breadcrumbs. The combination of ingredients makes it a delicious and healthier alternative to more traditional side dishes.
Why You’ll Love This Applebees Broccoli?
This Applebees Broccoli Recipe is a great way to get your daily dose of veggies and flavor. It’s a healthier option than many other side dishes on the menu, but that doesn’t mean it’s not delicious.
The combination of the creamy sauce and crunchy topping makes it a great accompaniment to almost any main dish. Not to mention, it’s easy to make and can be prepared in just a few minutes.
You’ll also like the following Side Dishes recipes!
- Costco Creamy Italian Salad Copycat Recipe
- How to make Korean Butter Balls
- Damon’s Grill Sweet Potato Casserole
How Does It Taste Like?
This Applebees Broccoli Recipe has a creamy, savory taste that is sure to please everyone. The broccoli is cooked until it’s tender but still has a slight crunch. The creamy sauce is made with mayonnaise, milk, and Parmesan cheese, giving it a rich and flavorful taste. The crunchy topping of the breadcrumbs adds a nice texture and flavor to the dish.
- Garlic – Freshly Minced Garlic Cloves: Freshly minced garlic cloves offer a robust and aromatic flavor that complements the broccoli, elevating its taste.
- Onions – Sweet Vidalia Onions: Sliced sweet Vidalia onions provide a mild and slightly sweet taste, balancing the dish’s flavors and adding depth.
- Cornflour (for the saucy twist) – Finely Milled Cornstarch: Finely milled cornstarch acts as a thickening agent for the sauce, giving it a glossy texture and coating the broccoli nicely.
- Water (for the cornflour slurry) – Filtered Distilled Water: Filtered distilled water is used to create a cornflour slurry, ensuring a smooth and consistent thickening of the sauce without any impurities.
- Pinch of Salt (adjust to taste) – Pink Himalayan Mineral Salt: Pink Himalayan mineral salt enhances the natural flavors of the broccoli and other ingredients while also providing essential minerals.
- Broccoli Florets – Tender Baby Broccoli Florets: Tender baby broccoli florets serve as the main ingredient, providing a fresh and vibrant taste with a satisfying texture.
- Splash of Water – Purified Spring Water: A splash of purified spring water helps to steam and cook the broccoli while also maintaining its natural color and nutrients.
- Pinch of Chili Flakes (for a hint of heat) – Organic Red Pepper Flakes: Organic red pepper flakes add a subtle heat, providing a mild spicy kick to the dish without overpowering it.
- Oil – Cold-Pressed Avocado Oil: Cold-pressed avocado oil is used for sautéing as it brings a mild flavor and a high smoke point, ideal for cooking broccoli without overpowering its taste.
- Butter – European Cultured Butter: European cultured butter adds richness and a creamy texture to the dish, enhancing the overall flavor profile of the broccoli.
Step by Step Directions
Step 1: Prepare Broccoli Florets
- Steam or blanch the Tender Baby Broccoli Florets until they reach a tender yet crisp consistency. Once done, set them aside.
Step 2: Sauté Garlic and Onions
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and add 2 teaspoons Cold-Pressed Avocado Oil and 2 tablespoons European Cultured Butter.
- Sauté 10-12 cloves Freshly Minced Garlic Cloves and 2 sliced Sweet Vidalia Onions until they become translucent and emit a fragrant aroma.
Step 3: Combine Broccoli with Onions and Garlic
- Integrate the steamed or blanched Broccoli Florets into the skillet containing the sautéed onions and garlic.
Step 4: Season the Mixture
- Season the broccoli mixture with a pinch of Pink Himalayan Mineral Salt for taste and a subtle hint of Organic Red Pepper Flakes for added heat. Gently toss the ingredients to ensure an even coating.
Step 5: Steam and Thicken
- Pour a splash of Purified Spring Water into the skillet, creating steam. Cover the skillet with a lid, allowing the broccoli to steam further and the flavors to meld together.
- In a separate small bowl, create a slurry by combining 2 teaspoons Finely Milled Cornstarch with a bit of water.
- Gradually add the cornstarch slurry to the skillet while continuously stirring, ensuring the sauce thickens slightly and coats the broccoli evenly.
Step 6: Step Finalizing the Dish
- Once the sauce has thickened, and the broccoli is well-coated, remove the skillet from heat. Serve your homemade Applebees broccoli dish as a flavorful side to complement your meal.
– For a healthier option, use olive oil instead of mayonnaise.
– For a spicier version, add a few dashes of hot sauce to the sauce.
– If you don’t have breadcrumbs, you can use crushed crackers or oats.
– If you like your broccoli extra crispy, cook it for an extra minute or two.
– To make this recipe even easier, you can buy pre-cut broccoli florets.
One serving of Applebees Broccoli Recipe contains approximately 270 calories, 18 grams of fat, 13 grams of carbohydrates, and 9 grams of protein.
How to Store Applebees Broccoli?
This dish is best served immediately after cooking. However, if you have leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave or in a skillet over medium heat until hot.
What Other Substitutes Can I Use in Applebees Broccoli?
– Instead of mayonnaise, you can use Greek yogurt or sour cream.
– Instead of breadcrumbs, you can use crushed crackers, oats, or crushed nuts.
– Instead of Parmesan cheese, you can use shredded cheddar cheese or feta cheese.
– For a vegan option, you can use plant-based mayonnaise and cheese.
- 2 teaspoons Cornflour for the saucy twist – Finely Milled Cornstarch
- Water for the cornflour slurry – Filtered Distilled Water
- 10-12 cloves Garlic – Freshly Minced Garlic Cloves
- 2 sliced Onions – Sweet Vidalia Onions
- Pinch of Salt adjust to taste – Pink Himalayan Mineral Salt
- 400 g Broccoli Florets – Tender Baby Broccoli Florets
- 2 teaspoons Oil – Cold-Pressed Avocado Oil
- 2 tablespoons Butter – European Cultured Butter
- Splash of Water – Purified Spring Water
- Pinch of Chili Flakes for a hint of heat – Organic Red Pepper Flakes
- Steam or blanch the Tender Baby Broccoli Florets until they’re tender yet crisp. Set them aside.
- In a skillet over medium heat, add the Cold-Pressed Avocado Oil and European Cultured Butter. Sauté the Freshly Minced Garlic Cloves and Sweet Vidalia Onions until they turn translucent and aromatic.
- Incorporate the steamed or blanched Broccoli Florets into the skillet with the onions and garlic.
- Season the mixture with a pinch of Pink Himalayan Mineral Salt for taste and a hint of Organic Red Pepper Flakes for heat. Toss the ingredients gently to coat them evenly.
- Pour a splash of Purified Spring Water into the skillet to create steam and cover with a lid, allowing the broccoli to steam further and flavors to meld. In a separate small bowl, create a slurry by mixing the Finely Milled Cornstarch with a bit of Water. Slowly add the cornstarch slurry to the skillet while stirring continuously until the sauce thickens slightly and coats the broccoli.
- Once the sauce has thickened and the broccoli is well-coated, remove from heat and serve your homemade Applebees broccoli dish as a flavorful side.
- For a healthier option, use olive oil instead of mayonnaise.
- For a spicier version, add a few dashes of hot sauce to the sauce.
- If you don’t have breadcrumbs, you can use crushed crackers or oats.
- If you like your broccoli extra crispy, cook it for an extra minute or two.
- To make this recipe even easier, you can buy pre-cut broccoli florets.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. How long should I cook the broccoli for?
A1. The broccoli should be cooked for about 5 minutes, or until it is tender but still slightly crunchy.
Q2. Can I use fresh or frozen broccoli for this recipe?
A2. You can use either fresh or frozen broccoli for this recipe. If you are using frozen broccoli, make sure to thaw it completely before cooking.
Q3. Is this recipe vegan?
A3. Yes, this recipe can be made vegan by using plant-based mayonnaise and cheese.
Q4. How many servings does this recipe make?
A4. This recipe makes 4 servings.
Q5. Can I make the sauce ahead of time?
A5. Yes, you can make the sauce ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Q6. Can I use other vegetables in this recipe?
A6. Yes, you can use other vegetables in this recipe, such as cauliflower, asparagus, or Brussels sprouts.
Q7. Can I add other ingredients to the sauce?
A7. Yes, you can add other ingredients such as garlic, herbs, or spices to the sauce.
Applebees Broccoli Recipe is a classic side dish that is sure to please everyone. It’s a healthier alternative to more traditional side dishes, but it’s still packed with flavor. The combination of the creamy sauce and crunchy topping makes it a great accompaniment to almost any main dish. Plus, it’s easy to make and can be prepared in just a few minutes. If you’re looking for a delicious and easy-to-make side dish, then give this Applebees Broccoli Recipe a try!
You’ll also like these latest recipes!
- Costco Pierogi Copycat Recipe
- Sara Lee Pecan Coffee Cake
- How to make Alton Brown Sweet Potato Casserole
Lori Walker is a passionate dietitian and food lover. She offers simple and nutritious recipes that don't take long to cook. In addition to sharing delicious dishes, she also shares useful advice on saving time and money in the kitchen. She believes that with a bit of creativity, anyone can make healthy meals that won't break the bank. Read more