Last Updated on January 31, 2024
Are you looking for a delicious and healthy meal that fits into the Optavia program? Look no further than the Optavia Lean and Green Cheeseburger Pie. Packed with lean ground beef, vegetables, and creamy buttermilk, this recipe is not only tasty but also fits perfectly into your Optavia diet plan.
In this blog post, we will explore why this recipe works, how it tastes like, what sets it apart from other variations, the ingredients needed, step-by-step instructions, storage tips, suggested side dishes, and alternatives for ingredients. Let’s dive in!
Why This Recipe Works?
1. Protein-rich: This lean and green cheeseburger pie is packed with high-quality protein from the lean ground beef. Protein is essential for building and repairing tissues, promoting satiety, and supporting weight loss goals.
2. Vegetable-packed: The addition of assorted bell peppers, zucchini, onions, and mushrooms ensures that you are getting a good dose of vitamins, minerals, and fiber. These vegetables not only enhance the nutritional value of the dish but also add a delightful crunch and flavor.
3. Creamy and flavorful: The incorporation of aged cheddar cheese and creamy buttermilk creates a rich and satisfying texture. The cheese adds a sharp, tangy taste while the buttermilk provides a creamy and slightly tangy flavor profile. These ingredients work together to elevate the taste of the dish.
4. Low-carb and low-calorie: This Optavia-friendly recipe is low in carbohydrates and calories, making it suitable for those following a weight loss or maintenance plan. By substituting traditional high-carb ingredients with lower-carb alternatives, you can enjoy a delicious cheeseburger pie without derailing your goals.
How Does It Taste Like?
The Optavia Lean and Green Cheeseburger Pie boasts a delightful combination of flavors. The lean ground beef provides a meaty and savory base, while the assortment of vegetables adds freshness and texture.
The aged cheddar cheese gives a sharpness that complements the other ingredients, and the creamy buttermilk adds a smooth and tangy element to the dish. Every bite is a balance of savory, tangy, and cheesy flavors, making it a truly satisfying meal.
What sets this recipe apart from other Optavia Lean and Green Cheeseburger Pie variations?
You’ll also like the following Dinner recipes!
While there might be other variations of Optavia Lean and Green Cheeseburger Pie, this recipe stands out for several reasons:
1. Unique vegetable combination: The addition of assorted bell peppers and zucchini not only provides vibrant colors but also brings a unique flavor dimension to the dish. The sweet and crisp bell peppers, along with the tender zucchini, perfectly complement the other ingredients.
2. Creamy buttermilk twist: The use of creamy buttermilk in this recipe sets it apart from others. Buttermilk adds a creamy texture and a tangy flavor that adds depth to the dish. It takes the traditional cheeseburger pie to the next level and makes it even more enjoyable.
3. Optavia-approved ingredients: This recipe ensures that every ingredient used is compliant with the Optavia program. By using lean ground beef, low-carb vegetables, and appropriate portion sizes of cheese and buttermilk, you can confidently include this dish in your Optavia meal plan.
4. Customizable: This recipe allows for customization based on personal preferences and dietary restrictions. You can easily adjust the types and quantities of vegetables or swap out the cheese for another variety that fits your dietary needs.
Aged Reduced-Fat Cheddar Cheese: Cheddar cheese adds a rich, savory flavor and creamy texture to the dish while being lower in fat, aligning with the lean and healthy nature of the Optavia diet.
Himalayan Pink Salt and Freshly Ground Black Peppercorns: These seasonings enhance the overall taste profile of the dish, balancing and elevating the flavors of the other ingredients.
Garlic: Mincing the garlic releases its aromatic compounds, providing a robust flavor and depth to the dish.
Sliced Mushrooms: Mushrooms contribute an earthy flavor and add a unique texture to the pie, making it more flavorful and satisfying.
Creamy Buttermilk: Buttermilk imparts richness to the dish, enhancing the creaminess and overall luxurious essence without adding excessive fat.
Small Onion: Finely chopped onions add layers of flavor and aroma, bringing depth to the dish.
Assorted Bell Peppers: Besides providing vibrant colors, bell peppers offer a sweet and tangy flavor, adding variety and nutritional value to the pie.
Farm-Fresh Eggs: Eggs act as a binder and contribute richness and depth of flavor to the pie while providing essential proteins.
Artisanal Cooking Spray: It’s used to prevent sticking and ensures a flawless release of the pie from the cooking surface, making it easier to serve and maintain its shape.
Chopped Zucchini: Zucchini adds a fresh and slightly crunchy texture to the pie, contributing to its overall taste and nutritional content.
Premium Lean Ground Beef: Serving as the main protein source, lean ground beef forms the foundation of the pie, offering a meaty texture and flavor while staying aligned with the Optavia diet’s lean protein guidelines.
Step by Step Directions
Step 1: Preheat Oven
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Lightly grease a pie dish or baking dish with cooking spray to prevent sticking.
Step 2: Cook Ground Beef
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook the lean ground beef until it’s browned and fully cooked.
- Once done, drain off any excess fat and set the cooked beef aside.
Step 3: Sauté Vegetables
- Using the same skillet, add a touch of oil if necessary.
- Sauté the chopped onion, sliced mushrooms, chopped bell peppers, minced garlic, and chopped zucchini.
- Cook until the vegetables are tender and emit a fragrant aroma, typically around 5-7 minutes.
Step 4: Combine Ingredients
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs and buttermilk.
- Add the cooked ground beef and sautéed vegetables into the egg mixture.
- Season with Himalayan pink salt and freshly ground black peppercorns.
- Mix thoroughly to ensure all ingredients are evenly combined.
Step 5: Assemble Pie
- Pour the combined mixture into the prepared pie dish.
- Sprinkle the finely shredded aged cheddar cheese evenly over the top.
Step 6: Bake
- Place the pie dish in the preheated oven and bake for approximately 25-30 minutes.
- Bake until the cheese is melted and the edges of the pie turn lightly golden brown.
Step 7: Serve
- Once the pie is cooked through, remove it from the oven.
- Allow it to cool for a few minutes before slicing it into wedges.
- Serve the pie warm and enjoy your delicious Optavia Lean and Green Cheeseburger Pie!
1. Use high-quality lean ground beef: Opt for lean ground beef with a minimum of 93% lean meat to keep the dish lower in fat and calories.
2. Customize your vegetable selection: Feel free to use your favorite vegetables or whatever you have on hand. Just make sure to adjust the cooking time if using vegetables with different cooking times.
3. Add extra spices and seasonings: Customize the flavors of the dish by adding additional spices or seasonings according to your taste preferences. Consider options like paprika, cumin, or dried herbs for extra flavor.
4. Portion control: To ensure you stay within your Optavia meal plan guidelines, divide the pie into appropriate portion sizes. This will help you maintain optimal balance and portion control.
5. Make it ahead: This recipe can be prepared in advance, making it a convenient option for meal prepping. Simply store the cooked pie in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, and reheat individual slices as needed.
Here is the approximate nutrition information for one serving of Optavia Lean and Green Cheeseburger Pie:
– Calories: 275
– Protein: 25g
– Fat: 17g
– Carbohydrates: 6g
– Fiber: 2g
– Sugar: 3g
Please note that the actual nutrition may vary depending on specific ingredient brands and portion sizes.
How Do You Store This Optavia Lean and Green Cheeseburger Pie?
Once the Optavia Lean and Green Cheeseburger Pie has cooled, you can store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Ensure that the pie is completely cooled before storing to prevent condensation and spoilage. When you’re ready to enjoy it, simply reheat individual slices in the microwave or oven until warmed through.
Sides For Optavia Lean and Green Cheeseburger Pie:
1. Steamed Broccoli: Pair your cheeseburger pie with a side of steamed broccoli for an extra dose of vitamins and minerals. Simply steam the broccoli until tender-crisp and sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper before serving.
2. Cauliflower Rice: Replace traditional rice with cauliflower rice for a low-carb and nutritious side dish. Sauté cauliflower rice in a skillet with your favorite seasonings and a touch of olive oil until tender.
3. Mixed Green Salad: A refreshing mixed green salad with a light vinaigrette dressing complements the flavors of the cheeseburger pie well. Include your favorite salad greens, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, and a drizzle of lemon vinaigrette.
What alternatives can you use for the ingredients if they are not present in your kitchen?
1. Ground Turkey: If you don’t have lean ground beef on hand, ground turkey is a suitable alternative. Ensure you choose lean ground turkey with a similar lean meat percentage as the lean ground beef.
2. Different Cheese Varieties: If you prefer a different type of cheese or don’t have cheddar cheese available, you can experiment with other flavors such as mozzarella, Swiss, or Monterey Jack. Be mindful of the fat content and choose a low-fat or reduced-fat option if desired.
3. Vegetable Substitutions: Feel free to substitute with any vegetables you have available. You can replace the bell peppers, mushrooms, or zucchini with options like spinach, kale, or even broccoli florets.
4. Almond Milk: If you don’t have buttermilk, you can use unsweetened almond milk as a substitute. Add a teaspoon of lemon juice or vinegar to the almond milk to create a similar tangy flavor.
- Pinches of Himalayan pink salt and freshly ground black peppercorns
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 4 ounces of aged cheddar cheese
- 1 cup of sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup of creamy buttermilk
- 1 small onion finely chopped into delicate pieces
- 3 large eggs
- cooking spray
- 1 cup of assorted bell peppers
- 1 cup of freshly chopped zucchini
- 1 pound of premium lean ground beef minimum of 93% lean meat
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C). Prepare a pie dish or baking dish by lightly greasing it with the cooking spray.
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook the lean ground beef until it’s browned and fully cooked. Drain off any excess fat, then set aside.
- Using the same skillet, add a touch of oil if needed, then sauté the chopped onion, sliced mushrooms, chopped bell peppers, minced garlic, and chopped zucchini. Cook until they are tender and fragrant, approximately 5-7 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs and buttermilk. Add the cooked ground beef and sautéed vegetables into the egg mixture. Season with the Himalayan pink salt and freshly ground black peppercorns. Mix well to combine all ingredients evenly.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pie dish. Sprinkle the finely shredded aged cheddar cheese over the top, distributing it evenly.
- Place the pie dish in the preheated oven and bake for approximately 25-30 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the edges of the pie are lightly golden brown.
- Once cooked through, remove the pie from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before slicing into wedges. Serve warm and enjoy your Optavia Lean and Green Cheeseburger Pie!
- Opt for lean ground beef with a minimum of 93% lean meat to keep the dish lower in fat and calories.
- Feel free to use your favorite vegetables or whatever you have on hand. Just make sure to adjust the cooking time if using vegetables with different cooking times.
- Customize the flavors of the dish by adding additional spices or seasonings according to your taste preferences. Consider options like paprika, cumin, or dried herbs for extra flavor.
- To ensure you stay within your Optavia meal plan guidelines, divide the pie into appropriate portion sizes. This will help you maintain optimal balance and portion control.
- 5. Make it ahead: This recipe can be prepared in advance, making it a convenient option for meal prepping. Simply store the cooked pie in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, and reheat individual slices as needed.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. Can I freeze the leftovers of the Optavia Lean and Green Cheeseburger Pie?
Yes, you can freeze the leftovers of the cheeseburger pie. Allow it to fully cool, slice it into individual portions, and wrap each portion tightly in aluminum foil or freezer-safe containers. Freeze for up to 2-3 months. To reheat, simply defrost in the refrigerator overnight and then warm in the oven until heated through.
2. Can I omit the cheese to make it dairy-free?
Yes, you can omit the cheese if you follow a dairy-free diet or have specific dietary restrictions. While the cheese adds flavor and richness, the remaining ingredients will still provide a delicious result.
3. Can I substitute ground chicken for the lean ground beef?
Yes, ground chicken can be used as a substitute for lean ground beef. However, keep in mind that ground chicken has a different texture and flavor profile, so the final result may vary slightly.
4. Can I use frozen vegetables instead of fresh ones?
Frozen vegetables can be used as a substitute for fresh vegetables if you don’t have fresh ones on hand. Just ensure to thaw and drain any excess liquid from the frozen vegetables before using in the recipe.
The Optavia Lean and Green Cheeseburger Pie is a tasty and satisfying dish that fits perfectly into your Optavia meal plan. With its protein-rich lean ground beef, flavorful vegetables, and creamy buttermilk, it offers a balance of taste and nutrition.
Whether you’re following Optavia or simply looking for a healthy meal option, this recipe is sure to become a family favorite. Give it a try and savor the flavors while staying on track with your goals. Enjoy your Optavia culinary journey!
You’ll also like these latest recipes!
Rebecca Novak is a trained chef with over 10 years of experience in the food industry. She has worked in both fine dining and casual Hungarian restaurants and specializes in creating dishes using fresh, seasonal ingredients. She also loves exploring different cuisines worldwide, which allows her to bring unique flavors and ideas to the recipes she creates for Hungarianchef.com. Read more