Last Updated on October 12, 2023
Welcome to the world of delightful snacking with Olga’s Snackers! These light, crispy, and savory bites are a staple in many households, offering a perfect blend of taste and health. Originating from the kitchen of Olga herself, these snackers have been winning hearts for years.
This recipe will guide you through the simple steps to recreate this popular snack at home. Packed with flavor and crunch, Olga’s Snackers make for an ideal companion to your evening tea or a handy appetizer for your next party. Let’s dive into the delicious journey of making Olga’s Snackers and bring a piece of Olga’s culinary magic into our kitchens!
What is Olgas snackers?
Olga’s Snackers are a type of savory snack made from a combination of flour, spices, and other ingredients. These snacks are known for their crispy texture and delicious flavor, making them a favorite among snacking enthusiasts. The recipe for Olga’s Snackers was created by Olga herself in her kitchen, and it has been passed down through generations. Today, these snackers are enjoyed by people all over the world and have become a household name in many countries.
Why You’ll Love This Olga’s Snacker?
There are many reasons why you’ll fall in love with Olga’s Snackers. For one, they are incredibly easy to make and require only a handful of ingredients that can be found in any kitchen. This makes them a convenient snack option for those times when you’re craving something delicious but don’t want to put in too much effort.
Moreover, these snackers are a healthier alternative to other store-bought snacks as they are made with all-natural ingredients and do not contain any preservatives or artificial flavors. They are also versatile and can be enjoyed on their own or paired with your favorite dips, spreads, or toppings. And let’s not forget the burst of flavor and crunch that will leave you wanting more after every bite!
You’ll also like the following Appetizer recipes!
How Does It Taste Like?
Olga’s Snackers have a unique and irresistible taste that sets them apart from other snacks. The combination of spices, herbs, and seasonings creates a savory flavor profile that is both bold and well-balanced. The texture is also something to rave about – crispy on the outside and light and airy on the inside. It’s no wonder these snackers have gained such a devoted following.
• All-purpose flour: The primary structure for most baked goods. It contains proteins that, when mixed with liquid, form gluten – an elastic network that provides baked goods with structure and texture.
• Rising yeast: Yeast is a key ingredient in bread baking because it causes the dough to rise. It ferments the sugars in the dough, producing carbon dioxide gas. This gas gets trapped within the elastic network of gluten, causing the dough to inflate.
• Warm water: Used to activate the yeast. The warmth wakes up the yeast and encourages it to start feeding and reproducing. Without warm water, the yeast won’t be activated, and your bread won’t rise.
• Vitamin D milk: Adds flavor and richness to the bread. It also helps to brown the crust and tenderize the crumb, making the bread softer.
• Kosher salt: Enhances the overall flavor of the bread. Additionally, it tightens the gluten structure, making the bread’s texture chewier.
• Honey: Provides sweetness and moisture to the bread. It also adds a distinct flavor and helps with browning the crust.
• Margarine: Adds fat which tenderizes the bread, making it softer and giving it a better mouthfeel. It can also add flavor.
• Eggs: Contribute to the structure by coagulating during baking, which helps set the structure of the bread. They also add color, flavor, and richness to the dough.
• Olive oil: Another source of fat that tenderizes the bread. It also adds a distinctive flavor.
• Granulated sugar: Feeds the yeast, helping it to grow and multiply more quickly. It also sweetens the bread and aids in browning the crust.
• Celery seeds: A spice that adds a unique flavor to the bread. This would be used in specific types of bread where a celery flavor is desired.
• Garlic powder: Adds a savory, umami flavor to the bread. This would be used in recipes like garlic bread or other savory, flavored breads.
• Paprika: Another spice that adds a warm, slightly sweet flavor and a lovely color to the bread.
• Salt: Enhances all the other flavors in the bread. Without it, bread can taste flat and uninteresting.
Step by Step Directions
Step 1: Activate the Yeast
To commence this recipe, activate the yeast in a small bowl by combining warm water, 1 teaspoon of sugar, and the yeast. Allow this mixture to rest for approximately 10 minutes until it transforms into a frothy and lively concoction.
Step 2: Prepare the Dry Ingredients
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, the remaining sugar, salt, celery seeds, garlic powder, paprika, and ⅓ cup of margarine. This step creates a flavorful base for your snackers.
Step 3: Prepare the Wet Ingredients
In a separate bowl, amalgamate warm milk, honey, eggs, and olive oil, creating a rich and harmonious mixture of wet ingredients.
Step 4: Combine and Mix
Integrate the yeast mixture into the bowl of dry ingredients, stirring until a well-incorporated and cohesive dough forms.
Step 5: Gradual Addition of Wet Ingredients
Gradually pour the milk mixture into the dough, continuing to mix until it smoothly transforms into a resilient and elastic dough.
Step 6: Knead the Dough
Transfer the dough onto a floured surface and knead it for approximately 10 minutes, ensuring its consistency and texture.
Step 7: Allow Rising
Place the kneaded dough into a greased bowl and cover it with a clean kitchen towel. Allow it to rise for about an hour until it has magnificently doubled in size, offering a vision of culinary anticipation.
Step 8: Preheat the Oven
As the dough rises, preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C), preparing it for the next stage of baking perfection.
Step 9: Shape and Prepare for Baking
Upon the dough’s rise, punch it down and expertly shape it into small balls, gently flattening them with the palms of your hands. These transformed portions are now ready to become delectable snackers.
Step 10: Brush with Margarine
Place these crafted snackers onto a greased baking sheet and delicately brush them with melted margarine, adding an enticing layer of flavor.
Step 11: Bake to Golden Perfection
Bake your snackers for 20-25 minutes or until they attain a glorious golden brown hue and produce a satisfyingly hollow sound when tapped.
Step 12: Serve and Enjoy
Once baked to perfection, serve these delectable creations while they are warm and at their prime, ready to be savored and enjoyed by all who partake in this culinary delight.
• For a healthier option, you can use whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose flour.
• You can add your favorite herbs and spices to the dough for added flavor.
• Feel free to mix in grated cheese or chopped nuts into the dough for a different texture and taste.
• Serve Olga’s Snackers with dips like hummus, tzatziki, or guacamole for a delicious snack combination.
• These snackers also make great croutons for salads or soups. Simply cut them into cubes and bake until crispy.
• Experiment with different shapes and sizes of the dough to create unique variations of Olga’s Snackers. Try making twists, knots, or mini bagels!
How to store Olgas snackers?
To maintain the freshness and flavor of your Olga’s Snackers, store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. If you have leftovers, you can also freeze them for up to 2 months. Just make sure to thaw them before reheating in the oven or toaster oven for a few minutes until warmed through.
What other substitute can I use in Olga’s snackers?
• For a gluten-free option, you can use a gluten-free all-purpose flour blend.
• Coconut oil or butter can be used in place of margarine for a dairy-free version.
• Don’t have honey? You can substitute it with maple syrup or agave nectar. Just keep in mind that the flavor may be slightly different.
• Almond milk or soy milk can be used instead of vitamin D milk for those with dairy allergies.
• For a low-sugar option, you can use a sugar substitute such as stevia or monk fruit extract. Just be sure to adjust the amount accordingly as these substitutes are sweeter than regular sugar.
- Damp cloth
- Measuring cups
- 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp rising yeast
- 0.5 cup warm water
- 2 cup vitamin D milk
- 2 tbsp Kosher salt
- 8 tbsp honey
- 8 tbsp margarine
- 2 large-sized egg
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp celery seeds
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 2 tbsp salt
- Activate yeast by combining warm water, 1 tsp sugar, and yeast; let sit for 10 minutes until frothy.
- Whisk flour, remaining sugar, salt, celery seeds, garlic powder, paprika, and ⅓ cup margarine in a large bowl.
- Combine warm milk, honey, eggs, and olive oil in a separate bowl.
- Add the yeast mixture to the flour mixture and mix well.
- Gradually add the milk mixture to form a smooth dough.
- Knead dough on a floured surface for 10 minutes.
- Place dough in a greased bowl, cover, and let rise for an hour until doubled.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Shape dough into balls, slightly flatten, and place on a greased baking sheet.
- Brush with melted margarine.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and hollow-sounding.
- Serve warm and enjoy.
- For a healthier option, you can use whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose flour.
- You can add your favorite herbs and spices to the dough for added flavor.
- Feel free to mix in grated cheese or chopped nuts into the dough for a different texture and taste.
- Serve Olga’s Snackers with dips like hummus, tzatziki, or guacamole for a delicious snack combination.
- These snackers also make great croutons for salads or soups. Simply cut them into cubes and bake until crispy.
- Experiment with different shapes and sizes of the dough to create unique variations of Olga’s Snackers. Try making twists, knots, or mini bagels!
- Can I substitute active dry yeast with instant yeast?
Yes, you can. However, the quantities may vary, and the method of activation might be different. Instant yeast doesn’t typically need to be dissolved in water before mixing.
- Why do we add honey to the dough?
Honey not only adds sweetness to the bread but also keeps it moist. It contributes to the browning of the crust as well.
- Is it possible to make this bread without eggs?
Yes, it is possible. You can use alternatives like flax seeds or chia seeds mixed with water, applesauce, or mashed bananas. However, the texture and taste of the bread might vary.
Olga’s Snackers are a delicious, versatile snack that can be enjoyed on their own or used in various dishes. With simple ingredients and easy step-by-step instructions, you can make these homemade snacks at home to enjoy with your family and friends. Get creative and add your personal touch to the recipe by experimenting with different flavors and shapes.
Once you try Olga’s Snackers, they may just become your go-to snack for any occasion! So why wait? Gather your ingredients and start baking today for delicious, homemade snacking goodness. Happy baking! Keep us posted on how it goes!
You’ll also like these latest recipes!
Lori Walker is a passionate dietitian and food lover. She offers simple and nutritious recipes that don't take long to cook. In addition to sharing delicious dishes, she also shares useful advice on saving time and money in the kitchen. She believes that with a bit of creativity, anyone can make healthy meals that won't break the bank. Read more