Last Updated on January 29, 2024
Are you looking for a potato salad recipe that is tried and tested? Look no further than Mark’s Feed Store Potato Salad Recipe. This delectable dish has its origins in Mark’s Feed Store, a renowned barbecue joint in Louisville, Kentucky.
With its creamy texture, tangy flavor, and crunch from the onions and celery, this potato salad is the perfect accompaniment to any summer BBQ or family gathering.
In this blog post, we will dive deep into the world of Mark’s Feed Store Potato Salad Recipe, exploring why it works so well, the ingredients you’ll need, tips and tricks, nutrition information, storage suggestions for leftovers, complementary side dishes, possible ingredient substitutes, and answers to frequently asked questions.
What is Mark’s Feed Store Potato Salad?
Mark’s Feed Store Potato Salad is a beloved classic that has withstood the test of time. This recipe stands out for several reasons:
1. Creamy and Tangy Flavor: The combination of mayonnaise, dijon mustard, and white vinegar gives this potato salad a creamy and tangy flavor profile, providing the ideal balance of richness and acidity.
2. Perfectly Cooked Potatoes: The russet potatoes used in this recipe are peeled and cubed into 1-inch pieces and then boiled until tender. The result is perfectly cooked potatoes that retain their shape while still being soft and creamy in the center.
3. Textural Variety: The addition of finely diced sweet onion, chopped parsley, and hard-boiled eggs adds texture and complexity to the potato salad. The onions provide a mild sweetness, the parsley brings freshness and color, while the eggs contribute a velvety richness.
4. Harmonious Seasonings: The combination of salt and freshly ground black peppercorns adds depth and enhances the overall flavor profile of the potato salad.
You’ll also like the following Side Dishes recipes!
- Paula Deen Mashed Potato Copycat Recipe
- How to make San Giorgio Mac And Cheese
- Herdez Cilantro Lime Salsa Cremosa
Ingredients You’ll Need To Make This Dish:
To recreate Mark’s Feed Store Potato Salad Recipe in your own kitchen, gather the following ingredients:
Sizable Russet Potatoes: These serve as the base of the salad, providing the starchy, hearty component. When cooked, they add texture and substance to the dish.
Sweet Onion: Finely diced sweet onion adds a subtle yet distinct flavor to the salad. It contributes a mild sweetness and a pleasant crunch to each bite.
Creamy Mayonnaise: Mayonnaise serves as the primary binder and creamy element in the salad. It helps bring all the ingredients together while adding richness and moisture.
Robust Dijon Mustard: Dijon mustard adds depth and a tangy flavor profile to the salad. Its robustness contrasts well with the creaminess of the mayo, providing a zesty kick.
Clear White Vinegar: Vinegar adds acidity, balancing the richness of the mayo and enhancing the overall flavor profile. It also helps to cut through the heaviness of the dish.
Granulated Cane Sugar: Sugar provides a touch of sweetness that balances out the acidity from the vinegar and the tanginess from the mustard, creating a well-rounded flavor.
Sea Salt: Salt enhances the natural flavors of the ingredients and helps to season the dish properly, ensuring it’s not bland.
Freshly Ground Black Peppercorns: Pepper adds a subtle heat and depth of flavor. Freshly ground peppercorns offer a more pronounced and aromatic taste compared to pre-ground pepper.
Hard-Boiled Large Eggs: Chopped hard-boiled eggs contribute texture, protein, and a rich flavor to the salad, adding complexity to each bite.
Freshly Picked Italian Flat-Leaf Parsley: Finely chopped parsley brings a fresh, herbaceous element to the dish. It adds a pop of color and a hint of freshness to complement the other flavors.
Step 1: Prepare the Potatoes
Start by peeling and cutting russet potatoes into 1-inch cubes. To rid them of excess starch, rinse the cubed potatoes under cold water.
Step 2: Boil the Potatoes
Place the cubed potatoes into a large pot and cover them with cold water. Bring the pot to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to medium-low and let the potatoes simmer for around 10-15 minutes until they are just tender enough to be pierced with a fork. It’s important not to overcook them; they should remain firm. Once done, drain the potatoes and allow them to cool down to room temperature.
Step 3: Prepare the Dressing
In a mixing bowl, combine creamy mayonnaise, robust Dijon mustard, clear white vinegar, granulated cane sugar, sea salt, and freshly ground black peppercorns. Use a whisk to thoroughly blend these ingredients until they form a smooth and flavorful dressing.
Step 4: Assemble the Salad
Take a large mixing bowl and add the cooled cubed potatoes along with finely diced sweet onion. Gently fold in the chopped hard-boiled eggs and freshly picked Italian flat-leaf parsley to the bowl.
Step 5: Add the Dressing
Now, pour the prepared dressing over the potato mixture. Using a spatula or spoon, gently fold and combine the dressing with the potato mixture, ensuring every ingredient is evenly coated with the dressing.
Step 6: Chill and Serve
Cover the bowl containing the potato salad with plastic wrap or a lid, then place it in the refrigerator for at least 1-2 hours. Chilling allows the flavors to meld together, enhancing the taste. Serve the salad chilled and consider garnishing it with additional parsley for a fresh touch.
Step 7: Enjoy!
This delectable potato salad serves as an excellent accompaniment to grilled meats or as a delightful side dish for gatherings and picnics.
Tips & Tricks:
1. Use high-quality mayonnaise for the best flavor and creaminess.
2. For a twist, try adding a tablespoon of whole grain mustard to the dressing for added texture and flavor.
3. To make the potato salad more vibrant, add a handful of chopped fresh dill or green onions.
4. Adjust the seasonings to suit your taste. Add more salt, pepper, or even a dash of hot sauce for extra kick.
5. If you prefer a sweeter potato salad, increase the amount of granulated sugar in the dressing.
Here is the approximate nutrition information for one serving (based on a total of eight servings):
– Calories: 369
– Fat: 20g
– Carbohydrates: 39g
– Fiber: 4g
– Protein: 8g
How Do You Store The Leftovers?
If you have any leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Before serving leftover potato salad, give it a gentle stir to redistribute the flavors. However, it’s worth noting that the texture may be slightly different after refrigeration.
What sides would complement Mark’s Feed Store Potato Salad?
Mark’s Feed Store Potato Salad is a versatile dish that pairs well with a variety of complementary sides. Here are three options to consider:
1. Grilled Corn on the Cob:
The smoky sweetness of grilled corn on the cob provides a perfect contrast to the creamy tanginess of the potato salad. Brush the corn with melted butter and sprinkle with salt and pepper, then grill until tender and slightly charred.
2. Barbecue Ribs:
The richness and smokiness of barbecue ribs complement the creamy texture of the potato salad. The combination of flavors creates a harmonious balance that will leave your taste buds longing for more.
3. Panzanella Salad:
The fresh and vibrant flavors of a Panzanella salad, made with juicy tomatoes, crunchy croutons, and fragrant basil, provide a refreshing counterpart to the creamy potato salad. The two dishes together offer a delightful contrast of textures and flavors.
What alternatives can you use for the ingredients if they are not present in your kitchen?
If you find yourself without a particular ingredient for Mark’s Feed Store Potato Salad Recipe, don’t worry! Here are four alternative suggestions:
1. Onion Substitute:
If you don’t have sweet onion on hand, you can use red onion or shallots as a substitute. Just be aware that the flavor profile will be slightly different, but still enjoyable.
2. Mayonnaise Substitute:
If you’re looking for a lighter option or don’t have mayonnaise available, Greek yogurt or sour cream can be a possible substitute. However, keep in mind that this will alter the flavor and texture of the potato salad.
3. Dijon Mustard Substitute:
If you don’t have dijon mustard in your pantry, whole grain mustard or stone-ground mustard can be used as alternatives. These options will give your dressing a slightly more grainy texture.
4. White Vinegar Substitute:
In the absence of clear white vinegar, you can use apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar instead. While the flavor may differ slightly, the overall result will still be delicious.
- 2/3 cup of finely diced sweet onion
- 1 cup of mayonnaise
- 8 russet potatoes peeled and cubed into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup of dijon mustard
- 4 tablespoons of Italian flat-leaf parsley finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons of clear white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground black peppercorns
- 4 hard-boiled large eggs finely chopped
- Peel and cube the russet potatoes into 1-inch pieces. Rinse them under cold water to remove excess starch.
- Place the cubed potatoes in a large pot and cover them with cold water. Bring the water to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until the potatoes are fork-tender. Be careful not to overcook them, as they should hold their shape. Once done, drain the potatoes and let them cool to room temperature.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the creamy mayonnaise, robust Dijon mustard, clear white vinegar, granulated cane sugar, sea salt, and freshly ground black peppercorns. Whisk the ingredients together until well combined to create the dressing.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the cooled cubed potatoes and finely diced sweet onion. Gently fold in the chopped hard-boiled eggs and freshly picked Italian flat-leaf parsley.
- Pour the prepared dressing over the potato mixture. Use a spatula or spoon to gently fold and combine the dressing with the potato mixture, ensuring all ingredients are evenly coated.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a lid and refrigerate the potato salad for at least 1-2 hours before serving. This allows the flavors to meld together. Serve chilled and garnish with additional parsley if desired.
- This potato salad pairs well with grilled meats or as a delightful side dish for gatherings and picnics.
- Use high-quality mayonnaise for the best flavor and creaminess.
- For a twist, try adding a tablespoon of whole grain mustard to the dressing for added texture and flavor.
- To make the potato salad more vibrant, add a handful of chopped fresh dill or green onions.
- Adjust the seasonings to suit your taste. Add more salt, pepper, or even a dash of hot sauce for extra kick.
- If you prefer a sweeter potato salad, increase the amount of granulated sugar in the dressing.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q1: Can I make this potato salad in advance?
A: Absolutely! In fact, making this potato salad a day in advance allows the flavors to meld together even further. Simply store it in the refrigerator and serve it chilled.
Q2: Can I use red potatoes instead of russet potatoes?
A: While russet potatoes are traditionally used for this recipe, you can use red potatoes as an alternative. Keep in mind that red potatoes have a different texture, so the potato salad may turn out slightly creamier.
Q3: Can I add other vegetables to this potato salad recipe?
A: Certainly! If you want to add some extra crunch and color, consider adding chopped celery, bell peppers, or even pickles. Be creative and experiment with your favorite vegetables.
Q4: Can I double or halve the recipe easily?
A: Yes, this recipe is quite versatile and can be easily adjusted to suit your needs. Simply double or halve the ingredients accordingly, maintaining the ratios for the dressing.
Q5: Can I make this potato salad vegan?
A: Yes! To make this recipe vegan-friendly, substitute the mayonnaise with vegan mayo and omit the hard-boiled eggs. You can also experiment with plant-based dressings as per your preference.
Q6: Can I freeze the potato salad?
A: Unfortunately, potato salad does not freeze well due to the creamy nature of the dressing. It is best enjoyed fresh or stored in the refrigerator for a few days.
Mark’s Feed Store Potato Salad Recipe is a timeless classic that delivers a creamy, tangy, and texturally enticing dish every time.
With its carefully selected ingredients, perfectly cooked potatoes, and flavorful dressing, this potato salad is a crowd-pleaser. Whether you’re hosting a summer BBQ, planning a family picnic, or simply craving a comforting side dish, this recipe will never disappoint.
Get ready to savor the flavors of Mark’s Feed Store Potato Salad Recipe and delight your taste buds with every bite.
You’ll also like these latest recipes!
- Captain Rodney’s Dip Copycat Recipe
- Fruity Fran Chicken Salad Chick
- How to make Hoffman House Cocktail Sauce
Rebecca Novak is a trained chef with over 10 years of experience in the food industry. She has worked in both fine dining and casual Hungarian restaurants and specializes in creating dishes using fresh, seasonal ingredients. She also loves exploring different cuisines worldwide, which allows her to bring unique flavors and ideas to the recipes she creates for Hungarianchef.com. Read more