Last Updated on December 4, 2023
Are you looking for a delicious and healthy salad recipe?
Look no further than Costco Calamari Salad! This recipe is easy to make and full of flavor. It is an excellent way to enjoy a healthy meal with a Mediterranean flair. Costco Calamari Salad is a great option for those looking to add a bit of variety to their lunch or dinner.
What is Costco Calamari Salad?
Costco Calamari Salad is a Mediterranean-inspired dish made with calamari, tomatoes, onions, olives, and feta cheese. It is a healthy and flavorful salad that is sure to impress.
The calamari is lightly breaded and fried, giving it a crunchy texture that contrasts nicely with the soft tomatoes and feta cheese.
The onions and olives add a touch of sweetness and saltiness, while the feta cheese provides a creamy finish. This salad is a great way to get your daily dose of seafood and vegetables in a tasty way.
What Does It Taste Like?
Costco Calamari Salad is a delicious and flavorful dish. The calamari is lightly fried, giving it a crunchy texture.
The tomatoes and onions add a subtle sweetness, while the olives and feta cheese provide a salty and creamy finish. The salad is a great way to get your daily dose of seafood and vegetables in a tasty way.
You’ll also like the following Appetizer recipes!
- Trader Joe’s Chicken Jalapeno Sausage Copycat Recipe
- How to make Costco Cranberry Jalapeno Dip
- Brenda Gantt Fried Chicken
Himalayan pink salt: This salt is used to season the Aqua Star Costco frozen calamari steaks. It enhances the flavor of the calamari while also imparting a slight mineral taste.
Freshly ground mixed peppercorns: These add a distinct and varied peppery flavor to the calamari steaks. Pepper complements the seafood taste and adds a subtle spiciness to the dish.
Aqua Star Costco frozen calamari steaks: The main ingredient, providing the seafood element to the salad. Calamari steaks are used as the protein base, offering a tender, slightly chewy texture with a mild seafood taste.
Organic vegetable oil: This oil is used for cooking the calamari steaks. It’s essential for frying or sautéing the calamari, giving it a crispy outer texture while keeping the inside tender. Doubling the quantity might be necessary to ensure proper cooking and to prevent the calamari from becoming too dry.
STEP 1 – Thaw Calamari
Thawing Process: Follow the instructions on the package to thaw the frozen calamari steaks. Usually, this involves leaving them in the refrigerator overnight or using quick thaw methods recommended on the packaging.
Pat Dry: Use paper towels to gently pat the calamari steaks dry, ensuring excess moisture is removed. This step helps achieve better browning and prevents excessive splattering during cooking.
STEP 2 – Prepare Seasoning Mix
Create Seasoning: Combine Himalayan pink salt and freshly ground mixed peppercorns in a small bowl to create the seasoning mix. Set it aside for later use.
STEP 3 – Slice Calamari
Cutting Technique: Carefully slice the thawed calamari steaks into rings or strips, based on your preference. Aim for uniformity in size to ensure even cooking.
STEP 4 – Heat Vegetable Oil
Select Cooking Vessel: Use a large skillet or frying pan suitable for accommodating the calamari pieces.
Oil Heating: Heat organic vegetable oil over medium-high heat in the skillet. Make sure there’s enough oil to cover the calamari pieces once added.
STEP 5 – Cook Calamari
Add Calamari: Once the oil is sufficiently heated (ensure it’s hot but not smoking), gently add the sliced calamari to the skillet in a single layer.
Cooking Time: Cook for approximately 1-2 minutes on each side until they achieve a golden brown color and are cooked through. Be mindful not to overcook, as calamari can toughen when cooked for too long.
STEP 6 – Season Calamari
Apply Seasoning: While the calamari cooks, evenly sprinkle the prepared seasoning mix over the pieces in the skillet. Gently toss or stir the calamari to ensure the seasoning coats each piece evenly. Adjust seasoning to taste if needed.
STEP 7 – Remove from Heat
Completion of Cooking: Once the calamari reaches the desired level of cooking and seasoning, remove the skillet from the heat source.
STEP 8 – Serve
Transfer and Plate: Place the seasoned calamari onto a serving plate or bowl. It can be served immediately while warm or allowed to cool slightly before serving.
• For a vegan version, omit the feta cheese.
• To make the salad spicier, add a pinch of red pepper flakes.
• For an extra burst of flavor, add a tablespoon of capers.
• To add more crunch, top with toasted pine nuts.
• If you don’t have fresh lemon juice, you can use bottled lemon juice or white wine vinegar.
• For a more filling dish, add cooked quinoa or couscous.
One serving of Costco Calamari Salad provides approximately 280 calories, 16 grams of fat, 16 grams of protein, and 11 grams of carbohydrates. It is a great option for those looking to add more seafood and vegetables to their diet.
What to Serve with Costco Calamari Salad Recipe?
• Grilled fish
• Baked potatoes
• Steamed vegetables
• Quinoa pilaf
• Rice pilaf
• Sauteed greens
• Roasted sweet potatoes
• Garlic bread
How to Store Leftover Costco Calamari Salad Recipe?
Leftover Costco Calamari Salad can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. To reheat, add a tablespoon of olive oil to a skillet and heat over medium heat. Add the salad and cook until warmed through.
What Other Substitutes Can I Use in Costco Calamari Salad Recipe?
• Shrimp: Shrimp can be used in place of the calamari in this recipe. It is best to use cooked shrimp that has been peeled and deveined.
• Tomatoes: Cherry tomatoes can be swapped out for diced tomatoes or chopped bell peppers.
• Olives: Kalamata olives can be replaced with any type of olives you prefer.
• Feta cheese: Feta cheese can be replaced with crumbled goat cheese or shredded mozzarella.
• Oregano: Oregano can be swapped out for any other type of dried herb, such as basil or thyme.
- 1 tablespoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground mixed peppercorns
- 4 Aqua Star costco frozen calamari steaks
- Organic vegetable oil amount dependent on your cooking method, but double the original quantity
- Thaw the frozen calamari steaks according to the package instructions. Pat them dry using paper towels to remove excess moisture.
- In a small bowl, combine the Himalayan pink salt and freshly ground mixed peppercorns to create a seasoning mix. Set it aside.
- Carefully slice the calamari steaks into rings or strips, as per your preference. Ensure they’re relatively uniform in size for even cooking.
- In a large skillet or frying pan, heat organic vegetable oil over medium-high heat. The quantity should be sufficient to cover the calamari pieces once they’re added to the pan.
- Once the oil is hot (but not smoking), add the sliced calamari to the skillet in a single layer. Cook for 1-2 minutes on each side, or until they turn golden brown and are cooked through. Be cautious not to overcook them as calamari can become tough if cooked for too long.
- As the calamari cooks, sprinkle the seasoning mix evenly over the pieces in the skillet. Toss or gently stir the calamari to ensure the seasoning coats each piece evenly. Adjust seasoning to taste if necessary.
- Once the calamari is cooked and seasoned to your liking, remove the skillet from the heat.
- Transfer the seasoned calamari to a serving plate or bowl. You can serve this warm calamari salad immediately or let it cool slightly before serving.
- For a vegan version, omit the feta cheese.
- To make the salad spicier, add a pinch of red pepper flakes.
- For an extra burst of flavor, add a tablespoon of capers.
- To add more crunch, top with toasted pine nuts.
- If you don’t have fresh lemon juice, you can use bottled lemon juice or white wine vinegar.
- For a more filling dish, add cooked quinoa or couscous.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. Can I make Costco Calamari Salad ahead of time?
A1. Yes, you can make Costco Calamari Salad ahead of time. Simply prepare all of the ingredients and store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. When you’re ready to serve, simply assemble the salad and dress with the lemon juice and olive oil mixture.
Q2. Can I make this recipe gluten-free?
A2. Yes, you can make this recipe gluten-free by using gluten-free breadcrumbs to coat the calamari.
Q3. How long does Costco Calamari Salad last in the fridge?
A3. Costco Calamari Salad will last in the fridge for up to three days.
Q4. Can I use frozen calamari for this recipe?
A4. Yes, you can use frozen calamari for this recipe. However, it is best to thaw the calamari before using it.
Q5. Can I freeze Costco Calamari Salad?
A5. No, we do not recommend freezing Costco Calamari Salad as the texture of the calamari will be altered.
Q6. What other vegetables can I add to this recipe?
A6. You can add a variety of vegetables to this recipe, such as bell peppers, cucumbers, celery, and zucchini.
Q7. Can I make this recipe vegan?
A7. Yes, you can make this recipe vegan by omitting the feta cheese.
Costco Calamari Salad is a delicious and healthy dish that is sure to please. It is an easy and flavorful way to get your daily dose of seafood and vegetables.
The calamari is lightly fried, giving it a crunchy texture, while the tomatoes and onions add a subtle sweetness.
The olives and feta cheese provide a salty and creamy finish. This salad is sure to be a hit at your next gathering!
You’ll also like these latest recipes!
Lori Walker is a passionate dietitian and food lover. She offers simple and nutritious recipes that don't take long to cook. In addition to sharing delicious dishes, she also shares useful advice on saving time and money in the kitchen. She believes that with a bit of creativity, anyone can make healthy meals that won't break the bank. Read more