Last Updated on July 15, 2023
Conchitas con carne is a Mexican dish made with ground beef, shells, and plenty of spices. It’s an easy-to-make recipe that is sure to please your family and friends. It’s hearty, delicious, and full of flavor.
Plus, this recipe is perfect for meal prepping – make a big batch and have it for lunch throughout the week.
In this article, we’ll be walking through the steps to make this delicious dish. We’ll also provide tips and nutrition information to help you enjoy your conchitas con carne even more! So let’s get started.
What is conchitas con carne?
Conchitas con carne is a Mexican dish made with ground beef, shells, and plenty of flavorful spices. It’s a popular comfort food in Mexico that can be served as an entree or side dish.
The combination of savory ground beef, sweet bell peppers, and spicy tomato sauce makes this dish irresistible. This recipe is sure to please everyone at the table!
What does it taste like?
Conchitas con carne has a savory flavor that is complemented by the sweetness of bell peppers and the tanginess of lime juice.
The combination of spices, such as cumin, paprika, garlic powder, pepper, salt, chili powder, and optional cayenne pepper add layers of zesty flavor. And the addition of the shells and homemade tomato sauce makes this dish even more delicious.
You Might Also Like These Dinner Recipes!
- Walking Taco Casserole Recipe With Enchilada Sauce (Copycat Version)
- Captain Ds Hush Puppy Recipe (Copycat Version)
- Recipe for Chef Boyardee Beefaroni
How did I first get introduced to the conchitas con carne?
I first heard about conchitas con carne from my Mexican friends who were raving about it. I was intrigued by the unique combination of ingredients and flavors, so I decided to give it a try.
The first time I cooked it for myself, I was completely blown away – it was delicious! Since then, I’ve been making it for my friends and family, and everyone loves it.
How to make conchitas con carne?
Making conchitas con carne is easy and straightforward. Here is the ingredients & step-by-step process for this recipe:
- Ground sirloin: This leaner beef alternative will provide a succulent flavor to the recipe.
- Avocado: This adds an extra layer of flavor and texture to the dish, as well as added nutrition.
- Tomato sauce: We’ll be making our own tomato sauce for this recipe which requires minimal ingredients but packs a big flavor.
- Lime juice: The bright and acidic flavor of the lime adds a wonderful tanginess to the conchitas con carne.
- Spices and herbs: A combination of cumin, paprika garlic powder, pepper, salt, chili powder, and optional cayenne pepper add layers of zesty flavor.
- Bell peppers: Bell peppers contribute a slight crunch and sweetness to the overall dish.
- Onion: The savory flavor of the onion will complement all the other ingredients in this recipe.
- Beef bouillon cube: This provides a deeper flavor to the conchitas con carne while adding liquid to cook the shells.
- Shells: The shells provide an excellent base for this dish and absorb the flavors of all the other ingredients.
- Tomato sauce: This homemade version is made with Roma tomatoes, onion, garlic, chicken broth, and water.
Begin by heating a large pot over medium-high heat with 1 tbsp olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add in the ground sirloin and cook until it’s fully browned.
Once the meat is fully cooked, reduce the heat to low-medium and add the bell peppers, onion, and spices (cumin, paprika garlic powder, pepper, salt, chili powder, and optional cayenne pepper) to the pot. Stir everything together until combined and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
Next, add the tomato sauce, beef bouillon cube, lime juice, and water to the pot. Stir everything together until fully incorporated. Bring this mixture to a boil then reduce the heat to low and let everything simmer for 15 minutes.
Once the sauce has thickened, add in the shells, stirring to combine. Bring this mixture to a boil and cook until the shells are al dente (about 12-15 minutes).
Finally, turn off the heat and stir in the sliced avocado. Serve while hot with a sprinkle of freshly chopped cilantro, if desired.
-If you prefer a more saucy conchitas con carne, add an additional cup of water (or chicken broth) to the dish.
-For added protein, try adding cooked black beans or shredded chicken to the dish
-This recipe can be easily doubled, tripled, or quadrupled if you’re feeding a larger crowd.
- Large skillet
- 1lb ground sirloin (ground beef)
- Avocado, sliced
- 4 oz tomato sauce (see how-to below)
- Fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 bell pepper sliced
- 4-5 cups water
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/4 small onion chopped
- 2 cups uncooked shells
For tomato sauce
- 3 garlic cloves
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup water
- Begin by heating a large pot over medium-high heat with 1 tbsp olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add in the ground sirloin and cook until it’s fully browned.
- Once the meat is fully cooked, reduce the heat to low-medium and add the bell peppers, onion, and spices (cumin, paprika garlic powder, pepper, salt, chili powder, and optional cayenne pepper) to the pot. Stir everything together until combined and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Next, add the tomato sauce, beef bouillon cube, lime juice, and water to the pot. Stir everything together until fully incorporated. Bring this mixture to a boil then reduce the heat to low and let everything simmer for 15 minutes.
- Once the sauce has thickened, add in the shells, stirring to combine. Bring this mixture to a boil and cook until the shells are al dente (about 12-15 minutes).
- Finally, turn off the heat and stir in the sliced avocado. Serve while hot with a sprinkle of freshly chopped cilantro, if desired.
- Protein: 16g
- Fat: 10g
- Carbs: 14g
- Fiber: 3 g
What to serve with conchitas con carne?
Conchitas con carne make a great main dish, but you can also serve it as a side with your favorite Mexican words. Some of my favorites include tacos, enchiladas, burritos, or quesadillas.
It also pairs well with Spanish rice and refried beans for an even heartier meal. For added flavor, top your plate with a dollop of sour cream, some guacamole, and freshly chopped cilantro.
How to store leftover conchitas con carne?
Leftover conchitas con carne can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to four days. Reheat your leftovers in the microwave on high for 2-3 minutes or until heated through.
You can also reheat them on the stovetop over medium heat, stirring occasionally. To keep your shell from getting soggy, drizzle a bit of oil on it before reheating.
If you don’t plan to eat your leftovers within 4 days, you can also freeze them in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge and reheat as mentioned before.
Can pregnant women eat this?
Yes, pregnant women can eat conchitas con carne. The ingredients used in this recipe are generally safe for expectant mothers to consume.
However, it’s best to check with your healthcare provider before consuming anything while pregnant, as they might have additional recommendations for you specifically.
Can I substitute the ground sirloin for ground beef?
Yes, you can substitute the ground sirloin for ground beef if desired. However, keep in mind that you may need to adjust the cooking time accordingly as leaner meats may take longer to cook than fattier cuts.
Can I make conchitas con carne in the slow cooker?
Yes, you can make this dish in a slow cooker. Simply brown your ground sirloin and mix all of the other ingredients together, then add them to your slow cooker. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours, stirring occasionally.
Can I make this dish vegetarian?
Yes, you can easily make this dish vegetarian or vegan. Simply substitute the ground sirloin for a plant-based meat alternative (such as Beyond Meat) and use vegetable broth instead of a beef bouillon cube.
You can also add additional vegetables, such as bell peppers or mushrooms, to boost the nutritional value of this dish.
Conchitas con carne is a tasty and filling Mexican dish that’s perfect for any night of the week. It’s easy to make with simple ingredients, and you can easily customize it to your tastes.
Plus, it reheats well so you can enjoy leftovers the next day! Give this recipe a try today and enjoy the deliciousness of conchitas con carne!
Thank you for taking the time to read this blog about conchitas con carne! If you enjoyed it, please be sure to share it with your family and friends.
Sharing is Caring!
You Might Also Like These Latest Recipes!
- Pollo Tropical Beans Recipe (Copycat Version)
- Herbalife Crepe Recipe (Copycat Version)
- Recipe for Pasquales Stromboli Steak Sandwich
Lori Walker is a passionate dietitian and food lover. She offers simple and nutritious recipes that don't take long to cook. In addition to sharing delicious dishes, she also shares useful advice on saving time and money in the kitchen. She believes that with a bit of creativity, anyone can make healthy meals that won't break the bank. Read more