Last Updated on January 13, 2024
When you are in the mood for something delicious, there is nothing quite like Betty Crocker’s Chicken Croquettes. This easy-to-make dish is packed with flavor and will delight your taste buds. Whether you’re looking for something special to serve at a dinner party or a simple and tasty meal for the family, this recipe is sure to be a hit.
What is Betty Crocker’s Chicken Croquettes?
Betty Crocker is a brand name associated with a wide range of baking and cooking products, including ready-made mixes, kitchen utensils, and cookbooks. While often considered a fictional character, Betty Crocker has been an iconic figure since the early 20th century, representing expertise and trust in home cooking.
Betty Crocker’s Chicken Croquettes is a recipe that reflects the brand’s commitment to providing easy-to-follow and delicious meal ideas for home cooks. Croquettes, in general, are typically small, breaded and deep-fried rolls or patties that can be made with various ingredients.
It starts with diced chicken that is cooked until tender and then combined with a flavorful mixture of bread crumbs, herbs, and spices. The mixture is then rolled into balls, pan-fried until golden brown, and served with your favorite sauce.
Why You’ll Love This Betty Crocker Chicken Croquette?
Betty Crocker’s Chicken Croquettes recipe is a great way to add a little something extra to your meal. It’s easy to make, and the flavor is sure to please. Plus, it’s a great way to use up any leftover chicken you have in the fridge.
You’ll also like the following Dinner recipes!
- Chicken:Chopped chicken serves as the primary protein source, providing a savory and hearty flavor to the croquettes.
- Breadcrumbs:Breadcrumbs are used as a binding agent, helping to hold the croquettes together and providing a crispy texture when cooked.
- Flour:Flour contributes to the binding of the ingredients and helps create a cohesive mixture for shaping the croquettes.
- Lemon Juice:Lemon juice adds a bright and citrusy flavor to the croquettes, enhancing the overall taste and balancing the richness of the chicken.
- Milk:Milk contributes moisture to the mixture, ensuring the croquettes are tender and preventing them from becoming too dry during cooking.
- Hot Chili Pepper Seeds:Hot chili pepper seeds add a spicy kick to the croquettes, providing a layer of heat for those who enjoy a bit of spice in their dishes.
- Egg:The egg acts as a binder, helping to hold the ingredients together and providing structure to the croquettes.
- Onion:Minced onion adds a savory and aromatic flavor to the croquettes, enhancing the overall depth of taste.
- Parsley:Minced parsley contributes a fresh and herbaceous element, adding brightness and color to the croquettes.
- Salt:Salt is a fundamental seasoning that enhances the flavors of the chicken and other ingredients, bringing out their natural taste.
Step By Step Instructions
Step 1: Prepare Chicken Mixture:
Begin the culinary journey by assembling the key players in a mixing bowl—chopped chicken, breadcrumbs, flour, lemon juice, milk, hot chili pepper seeds, minced onion, minced parsley, and salt. This diverse ensemble promises a harmonious blend of textures and flavors, laying the foundation for delectable chicken croquettes.
Step 2: Mixing the Ingredients
Engage your culinary prowess as you thoroughly combine the ingredients until a cohesive and slightly sticky texture is achieved. This meticulous process ensures each element contributes to the overall richness and depth of flavor.
Step 3: Shape Up
Transform the chicken mixture into visually appealing croquettes using your hands. Shape them into either oval or cylindrical forms based on your aesthetic preference, creating a tantalizing anticipation for what lies within.
Step 4: Establishing the Breading Station
Prepare a breading station, creating a three-step assembly line with separate bowls containing flour, beaten egg, and breadcrumbs. This organized setup facilitates the coating process, ensuring each croquette receives an even and delightful layer of breading.
Step 5: Coating the Croquettes
Embark on the transformative process of coating each croquette. Begin by delicately dusting it in flour, followed by a dip in the beaten egg, and a final coating of breadcrumbs. This trifecta of textures promises a satisfyingly crispy exterior.
Step 6: Cooking Options – Frying or Baking:
Select your preferred cooking method by either heating oil in a skillet for frying or preheating the oven for baking. Achieve a golden brown perfection by frying in the skillet or opt for a slightly healthier alternative with baking, ensuring a crispy outcome on a lined sheet.
Step 7: Draining Excess Oil
For those who opt for the skillet, delicately place the golden brown croquettes on paper towels. This thoughtful step allows the excess oil to drain, refining the culinary creation and ensuring a delightful presentation.
Step 8: Serve
Elevate the culinary experience by arranging the freshly prepared chicken croquettes on a serving platter. This artful presentation creates an inviting display, setting the stage for a delightful dining experience.
Step 9: Enjoy
Indulge in the Betty Crocker chicken croquettes while they are still hot, transforming them into a delightful appetizer or snack. The interplay of the crispy exterior and flavorful interior promises a satisfying treat, inviting you to savor each bite of this culinary masterpiece.
• You can use any type of cooked chicken for this recipe, including rotisserie, poached, or grilled chicken.
• To make the croquettes crunchier, you can double-dip them in the egg and flour mixture.
• If the croquettes are browning too quickly, lower the heat on the skillet.
• For a dairy-free version, you can use almond or coconut milk in place of regular milk.
• To make the croquettes spicier, add some cayenne pepper to the mixture.
• You can also shape the croquettes into patties if you prefer.
One serving of Betty Crocker’s Chicken Croquettes (3 croquettes) contains approximately 230 calories, 11 grams of fat, 15 grams of protein, 20 grams of carbohydrates, and 2 grams of fiber.
How to Store Betty Crocker’s Chicken Croquettes?
Any leftovers should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They will keep for up to 3 days.
Betty Crocker’s Chicken Croquettes recipe is a great base recipe that can be easily adapted to suit your tastes. Here are some ideas to try:
• Add some grated Parmesan cheese to the mixture for an extra cheesy flavor.
• Substitute the chicken for diced cooked shrimp for a seafood twist.
• Add some diced jalapeno peppers for a spicy kick.
• Substitute the plain bread crumbs with a seasoned variety for added flavor.
• Add some minced garlic to the mixture for extra flavor.
• Substitute the olive oil with melted butter for a richer flavor.
- Mixing bowl
- chopping board
- 1 Cup of Tender Chopped Chicken the feather-light protein
- 1/6 Tablespoons of Golden Breadcrumbs the crispy storytellers
- 1/6 Tablespoons of Flour the powdery foundation
- 1 Tablespoon of Zesty Lemon Juice the citrusy twist
- 1/2 Cup of Velvet Milk the creamy elixir
- 1/8 Tablespoon of Fiery Hot Chili Pepper Seeds for a spicy dance
- 1 Whisked Egg the golden binder
- 1/2 Tablespoon of Minced Onion the aromatic confetti
- 1 Tablespoon of Freshly Minced Parsley the herbal flourish
- 1/2 Tablespoon of Sea Salt the elemental essence
- In a mixing bowl, combine the chopped chicken, breadcrumbs, flour, lemon juice, milk, hot chili pepper seeds, minced onion, minced parsley, and salt.
- Thoroughly mix the ingredients until well combined. The mixture should have a cohesive and slightly sticky texture.
- With your hands, shape the mixture into croquettes. You can form them into oval or cylindrical shapes based on your preference.
- In separate bowls, set up a breeding station. Place flour in one bowl, beaten egg in another, and breadcrumbs in a third.
- Take each shaped croquette and coat it first in flour, then dip it in beaten egg, and finally coat it with breadcrumbs. Ensure an even coating.
- Heat oil in a skillet for frying, or preheat the oven for baking. If frying, cook the croquettes until golden brown on all sides. If baking, place them on a lined baking sheet and bake until crispy.
- If you fried the croquettes, place them on paper towels to drain excess oil.
- Arrange the chicken croquettes on a serving platter.
- Serve the Betty Crocker chicken croquettes hot as a delightful appetizer or snack.
- You can use any type of cooked chicken for this recipe, including rotisserie, poached, or grilled chicken.
- To make the croquettes crunchier, you can double-dip them in the egg and flour mixture.
- If the croquettes are browning too quickly, lower the heat on the skillet.
- For a dairy-free version, you can use almond or coconut milk in place of regular milk.
- To make the croquettes spicier, add some cayenne pepper to the mixture.
- You can also shape the croquettes into patties if you prefer.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1: Can I make the croquettes ahead of time?
Yes, you can make the croquettes ahead of time and store them in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. When ready to serve, simply reheat in the oven or a skillet over medium heat.
Q2: How long should I fry the croquettes?
The croquettes should be fried for about 3 minutes, or until golden brown.
Q3: What kind of sauce should I serve with the croquettes?
You can serve the croquettes with your favorite sauce, such as marinara, ranch, or honey mustard.
Q4: Can I freeze the croquettes?
Yes, you can freeze the uncooked croquettes for up to 3 months. When ready to cook, simply thaw overnight in the refrigerator and then follow the instructions for frying.
Q5: Can I use other types of cooked chicken for this recipe?
Yes, you can use any type of cooked chicken, including rotisserie, poached, or grilled chicken.
Q6: Can I make the croquettes without the eggs and milk?
Yes, you can make the croquettes without the eggs and milk. Simply omit these ingredients and proceed with the recipe as written.
Q7: Can I bake the croquettes instead of frying them?
Yes, you can bake the croquettes in a preheated 350°F oven for 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown.
Betty Crocker’s Chicken Croquettes recipe is a quick and easy dish that is sure to please. It’s packed with flavor and is a great way to use up any leftover chicken you have in the fridge. With just a few simple ingredients, you can have a delicious and satisfying meal ready in no time. So the next time you’re in the mood for something special, give this recipe a try.
You’ll also like these latest recipes!
Rebecca Novak is a trained chef with over 10 years of experience in the food industry. She has worked in both fine dining and casual Hungarian restaurants and specializes in creating dishes using fresh, seasonal ingredients. She also loves exploring different cuisines worldwide, which allows her to bring unique flavors and ideas to the recipes she creates for Hungarianchef.com. Read more