Last Updated on January 19, 2024
We all love Mexican food, but sometimes it can be hard to make sure it’s healthy and fits into our meal plans. That’s why this Skinnytaste Turkey Chili Taco Soup is the perfect dish to make for a night in.
Not only is it delicious, but it’s low-calorie and gluten-free. Plus, it’s packed with protein and fiber, so it’s sure to keep you full and satisfied.
It’s super easy to make, too, so you can have dinner on the table in no time. With just a few simple ingredients and a few steps, you can make a delicious dish that’s sure to be a hit with your family.
So, let’s take a closer look at this Skinnytaste Turkey Chili Taco Soup and find out why it’s one of the best dishes to make for a healthy Mexican-style dinner.
What is skinnytaste turkey chili taco soup?
Skinnytaste, founded by Gina Homolka, is a culinary haven for those seeking a balanced approach to delicious, health-conscious meals.
With a mission to prove that healthy eating doesn’t mean sacrificing flavor, Skinnytaste has become a trusted resource, inspiring home cooks to create meals that are both nutritious and indulgent.
Within the vast repertoire of Skinnytaste recipes, the Turkey Chili Taco Soup stands out as a celebration of wholesome ingredients and bold Tex-Mex flavors.
This hearty soup showcases Gina Homolka’s signature approach: crafting dishes that are not only figure-friendly but also deliver a taste sensation that captivates the senses.
Why You’ll Love this skinnytaste turkey chili taco soup?
There are so many reasons why you’ll love this Skinnytaste Turkey Chili Taco Soup. First of all, it’s low in calories and fat, so you don’t have to worry about packion the pounds.
It’s also packed with protein and fiber, so it’s sure to keep you full and satisfied. Plus, it’s gluten-free, so it’s a great way to get a Mexican-inspired meal that everyone can enjoy.
It’s also super easy to make, so you can have dinner on the table in no time. And, it’s incredibly flavorful and delicious, so it’s sure to be a hit with your family.
You’ll also like the following Dinner recipes!
- How to make Paula Deen Chicken And Rice Casserole
- Mf Doom Mac And Cheese Copycat Recipe
- Concession Stand Hot Dog Chili
99% Lean Ground Turkey: Provides a healthy protein source with minimal fat content, making the turkey chili taco soup lean and nutritious.
Tomato Sauce: Acts as a luscious base, contributing to the soup’s rich and savory flavor profile.
Chopped Onion: Enhances the savory base of the soup, adding aromatic and flavorful notes.
Less-Sodium Chicken Broth: Adds savory depth to the soup while controlling sodium levels, creating a balanced and flavorful broth.
Chopped Bell Pepper: Introduces a colorful crunch, providing texture and additional nutrients to the soup.
Taco Seasoning: Infuses the soup with flavorful spices, creating a Mexican-inspired taste that complements the turkey and vegetables.
Fat-Free Refried Beans: Contributes to the creamy texture of the soup without adding extra fat, enhancing its overall consistency.
Rotel Tomatoes with Green Chilies: Provides a zesty kick with tomatoes and green chilies, adding brightness and heat to the soup.
No Salt Added Kidney Beans: Offers a hearty addition to the soup, providing fiber and protein without excess sodium.
Canned or Frozen Corn: Adds golden sweetness and a pop of color to the soup, enhancing its visual appeal and taste.
Low-Sodium Taco Seasoning: Supplements the overall seasoning, ensuring a flavorful and well-spiced turkey chili taco soup with controlled sodium levels.
Step 1: Browning the 99% Lean Ground Turkey
Begin the cooking process by placing a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Take the 99% lean ground turkey and add it to the pot. As it cooks, use a spoon or spatula to break the turkey apart, ensuring it browns evenly and reaches a fully cooked state. This step sets the foundation for the rich flavors of the soup.
Step 2: Introducing Chopped Onions and Bell Peppers
Enhance the aromatic base by introducing finely chopped onions and bell peppers to the browned ground turkey. Sauté this combination until the vegetables achieve a tender texture, and the onions turn translucent. This not only adds a delightful crunch but also brings out the sweetness of the vegetables.
Step 3: Pouring in the Tomato Sauce
Elevate the savory profile of the soup by pouring in the tomato sauce. Stir the sauce into the turkey and vegetable mixture, allowing it to simmer. This simmering process is essential to let the flavors blend harmoniously, creating a robust and well-rounded base for the soup.
Step 4: Sprinkling Taco Seasoning for Flavor
Infuse the soup with the quintessential taco flavor by sprinkling in 2 tablespoons + 2 1/4 teaspoons of taco seasoning (or 1/2 packet of store-bought). Thoroughly stir the seasoning into the pot, ensuring it coats every element evenly. This step brings a burst of Mexican-inspired spices to the dish.
Step 5: Adding Less-Sodium Chicken Broth
Introduce the less-sodium chicken broth to the pot, bringing the liquid to a gentle boil. Allow it to simmer for 5-7 minutes, letting the broth absorb the flavors of the turkey and vegetables. This step contributes to the depth and richness of the soup.
Step 6: Stirring in Refried Beans and Rotel Tomatoes
Elevate the texture and taste by stirring in fat-free refried beans and a can of Rotel tomatoes with green chilies. Ensure a thorough mix to amalgamate these ingredients with the turkey and vegetables. This adds creaminess and a hint of heat to the soup.
Step 7: Introducing Kidney Beans and Corn
Further diversify the soup’s texture by adding drained no salt added kidney beans and drained corn. Stir the mixture to seamlessly integrate these elements, providing a delightful combination of soft and crunchy bites in each spoonful.
Step 8: Adjusting Seasoning to Taste
Personalize the flavor profile by tasting the soup and adjusting the seasoning accordingly. Add more taco seasoning, salt, or pepper based on individual preferences, ensuring the soup aligns with your desired taste.
Step 9: Allowing for a Flavorful Simmer
Let the soup simmer for an additional 10-15 minutes. This extended simmering time allows the amalgamation of flavors, resulting in a rich and flavorful broth. This step is crucial for ensuring every bite is packed with a symphony of tastes.
Step 10: Ladling Into Bowls and Garnishing
Once the soup is ready, ladle it into bowls. Garnish each serving with your preferred toppings, such as shredded cheese, chopped green onions, or a dollop of Greek yogurt. These finishing touches add visual appeal and an extra layer of taste to the dish.
Step 11: Serving Hot and Savoring the Goodness
Serve the taco soup hot and relish the delightful and healthy flavors. Enjoy the satisfying experience of a hearty meal with the added benefit of being a Skinnytaste creation. This step marks the culmination of the cooking process, inviting you to savor the goodness of a well-prepared taco soup.
Here are a few tips to help you make the perfect Skinnytaste Turkey Chili Taco Soup:
– Use lean ground turkey for the best results.
– Feel free to add extra vegetables to the soup, such as bell peppers or zucchini.
– If you like your soup to be spicier, add more chili powder or cumin.
– If you’re short on time, you can use canned beans and corn instead of fresh.
– If you don’t have tortilla chips, you can use crushed taco shells or even crushed nacho chips.
This Skinnytaste Turkey Chili Taco Soup is best served fresh, but it can also be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. To reheat, simply place the soup in a pot over low heat until it’s heated through.
This Skinnytaste Turkey Chili Taco Soup is a great choice for a healthy dinner. It’s low in calories and fat, but it’s packed with protein and fiber, so it’s sure to keep you full and satisfied. A one-cup serving of the soup contains about 220 calories, 8 grams of fat, 19 grams of protein, and 7 grams of fiber.
This Skinnytaste Turkey Chili Taco Soup is delicious and served with various sides and toppings. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Tortilla Chips: Serve the soup with a side of tortilla chips for a delicious crunch.
- Avocado:Top the soup with a few slices of avocado for a creamy flavor.
- Cilantro: Sprinkle the soup with freshly chopped cilantro for a burst of flavor.
- Cheese: Add a sprinkle of cheese to the soup for a salty flavor.
- Sour Cream: Top the soup with a dollop of sour cream for a creamy flavor.
- Green Onions: Sprinkle the soup with some chopped green onions for a pop of color.
What other substitute can I use in skinnytaste turkey chili taco soup?
If you don’t have all the ingredients for this Skinnytaste Turkey Chili Taco Soup, there are a few substitutes that you can use:
- Ground Beef: If you don’t have ground turkey, you can use ground beef instead.
- Pinto Beans: If you don’t have black beans, you can use pinto beans instead.
- Frozen Corn: If you don’t have fresh corn, you can use frozen corn instead.
- Bell Peppers: If you don’t have tomatoes, you can use diced bell peppers instead.
- Smoked Paprika: If you don’t have chili powder, you can use smoked paprika instead for a smoky flavor.
- Oregano: If you don’t have cumin, you can use oregano for a Mediterranean flavor.
- Taco Shells: If you don’t have tortilla strips, you can use crushed taco shells instead.
- Shredded Cheese: If you don’t have cheese slices, you can use shredded cheese instead.
- Large pot
- chopping board
- 1 1/2 Cups Approx. 0.75 lbs of 99% Lean Ground Turkey, the healthy protein
- 1/2 Cup About 4 oz of Tomato Sauce, the luscious base
- 1/2 Cup of Chopped Onion for the savory base
- 1 1/4 Cups of Less-Sodium Chicken Broth for the savory depth
- 1/4 Cup of Chopped Bell Pepper the colorful crunch
- 2 Tablespoons + 2 1/4 Teaspoons of Taco Seasoning or 1/2 Packet of Store-Bought
- 1 Cup About 8 oz Can of Fat-Free Refried Beans, for the creamy texture
- 1/2 Cup About 5 oz Can of Rotel Tomatoes with Green Chilies, for the zesty kick
- 3/4 Cup About 7.5 oz of No Salt Added Kidney Beans, Drained, the hearty addition
- 3/4 Cup About 7.5 oz of Canned or Frozen Corn, Drained, the golden sweetness
- Low-Sodium Taco Seasoning for the flavorful spice
- In a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat, brown the 99% lean ground turkey until fully cooked. Break it apart using a spoon or spatula.
- Add chopped onions and bell peppers to the browned turkey. Sauté until the vegetables are tender and the onions are translucent.
- Pour in the tomato sauce, stirring it into the turkey and vegetables. Allow the mixture to simmer for a couple of minutes to enhance the flavors.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons + 2 1/4 teaspoons of taco seasoning (or 1/2 packet of store-bought) into the pot. Stir well to ensure the seasoning evenly coats the ingredients.
- Pour in the less-sodium chicken broth, bringing the liquid to a gentle boil. Allow it to simmer for about 5-7 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld.
- Stir in the fat-free refried beans and the can of Rotel tomatoes with green chilies. Mix well to combine all ingredients.
- Add drained no salt added kidney beans and drained corn to the pot. Stir to integrate the beans and corn with the other ingredients.
- Taste the soup and adjust the seasoning if necessary. You can add more taco seasoning or salt and pepper based on your preference.
- Allow the soup to simmer for an additional 10-15 minutes to let the flavors meld. Once ready, ladle the Skinnytaste Turkey Chili Taco Soup into bowls.
- Garnish with your favorite toppings such as shredded cheese, chopped green onions, or a dollop of Greek yogurt. Serve hot and enjoy a delicious and healthy taco soup!
- Use lean ground turkey for the best results.
- Feel free to add extra vegetables to the soup, such as bell peppers or zucchini.
- If you like your soup to be spicier, add more chili powder or cumin.
- If you’re short on time, you can use canned beans and corn instead of fresh.
- If you don’t have tortilla chips, you can use crushed taco shells or even crushed nacho chips.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Is Skinnytaste Turkey Chili Taco Soup healthy?
A: Yes, this soup is a great choice for a healthy dinner. It’s low in calories and fat, but it’s packed with protein and fiber, so it’s sure to keep you full and satisfied.
Q: How long will Skinnytaste Turkey Chili Taco Soup last in the refrigerator?
A: This soup will last in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Q: Can I use frozen corn in this soup?
A: Yes, you can use frozen corn instead of fresh corn if you don’t have any on hand.
Q: Can I use a different type of ground meat in this soup?
A: Yes, you can use ground beef in place of the ground turkey if you’d like.
Q: Can I make this soup ahead of time?
A: Yes, you can make this soup ahead of time and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Skinnytaste Turkey Chili Taco Soup offers a delightful and health-conscious twist to Mexican-style cuisine. This dish not only tantalizes your taste buds but also aligns with a low-calorie and gluten-free lifestyle.
The simplicity of its preparation, coupled with the option to customize with additional vegetables or spice levels, makes it a versatile and easy-to-create meal for any night of the week.
The soup’s appeal extends beyond its health benefits; it boasts a rich and satisfying flavor profile, enhanced by the addition of cheese and crunchy tortilla strips.
As a practical tip, using lean ground turkey ensures the best results, and the option to incorporate various toppings like avocado, cilantro, or sour cream adds a personalized touch.
You’ll also like these latest recipes!
- Campbell’s Chicken Tortilla Soup Copycat Recipe
- Sugar Free Pumpkin Roll
- How to make Root Vegetable Pave
Lori Walker is a passionate dietitian and food lover. She offers simple and nutritious recipes that don't take long to cook. In addition to sharing delicious dishes, she also shares useful advice on saving time and money in the kitchen. She believes that with a bit of creativity, anyone can make healthy meals that won't break the bank. Read more