Last Updated on January 13, 2024
Columbia Restaurant Sangria is a delicious Spanish classic that has been delighting palates since 1905. This recipe is packed with citrus, fruit, and a hint of brandy that is sure to please even the most discerning of wine drinkers. Whether you’re looking for a refreshing summer drink or a festive holiday beverage, this recipe is sure to be a hit. Read on to learn more about this classic Spanish drink!
What is Columbia Restaurant Sangria?
The Columbia Restaurant is a historic and iconic dining establishment that holds the title of Florida’s oldest restaurant, founded in 1905 in Tampa’s Ybor City. Steeped in Spanish-Cuban heritage, the restaurant has been a symbol of Florida’s rich cultural history, known for its elegant ambiance and traditional cuisine.
At this restaurant, Columbia Restaurant Sangria is a popular and refreshing beverage served reflecting the establishment’s commitment to providing an authentic taste of Spanish and Cuban flavors. Sangria is a traditional Spanish punch that typically combines red wine with a mix of fruits, sweeteners, and sometimes additional spirits.
Why You’ll Love this Columbia Restaurant Sangria?
Columbia Restaurant Sangria is a delicious and refreshing beverage that is sure to please any crowd. The combination of red wine, brandy, citrus, and fruit creates a unique flavor that is both sweet and tart. Plus, it’s easy to make and only requires a few simple ingredients. This recipe is also perfect for special occasions or simply enjoying a relaxing evening at home.
You’ll also like the following Drinks recipes!
- Raising Canes Sweet Tea Copycat Recipe
- How to make Yellowstone Loaded Tea
- Elderberry Immune Boosting Smoothie
- Sangria Mix:
Sangria mix typically contains a blend of fruit flavors, sugar, and spices. It serves as a convenient way to impart the characteristic fruity and sweet elements to the sangria, providing a balanced and flavorful base.
- Cold Water:
Cold water is added to dilute the sangria mix and balance the overall sweetness. It also contributes to the refreshing quality of the sangria.
- Red Wine:
Red wine is the foundation of sangria, offering rich flavors, depth, and tannins. It provides an alcoholic base and complements the fruity notes from the sangria mix.
Brandy adds a higher alcohol content and a depth of flavor to the sangria. It contributes a warming quality and complements the wine and fruit flavors.
Cherries add a burst of sweetness and a visually appealing element to the sangria. They also absorb some of the liquid, becoming flavorful treats in the drink.
Oranges contribute citrusy notes and freshness to the sangria. Sliced oranges add visual appeal and infuse the drink with their bright and zesty flavors.
A slice of lemon adds a touch of acidity and citrusy brightness to the sangria. It enhances the overall flavor profile and complements the sweetness of the fruit.
Step by Step Instructions
Step 1: Prepare Fruits
Begin by thoroughly washing the oranges and lemon. Once cleaned, slice them into thin rounds. Additionally, pit the cherries, ensuring they are ready to infuse their sweetness into the sangria.
Step 2: Mix Sangria Mix
Grab a large pitcher and combine the Sangria Mix with 1.5 cups of cold water. Stir the mixture diligently until the Sangria Mix is completely dissolved, ensuring a consistent base for your sangria.
Step 3: Add Red Wine
Pour the 750 ml of red wine into the pitcher with the Sangria Mix. Stir the contents well to ensure the red wine and the Sangria Mix blend seamlessly, creating a harmonious flavor profile.
Step 4: Include Brandy
Bring in the bold and rich flavors by pouring the entire bottle of brandy into the pitcher. Once again, give the mixture a thorough stir to fully incorporate the brandy into the sangria, adding depth and complexity to the drink.
Step 5: Add Fruits
Introduce the prepared fruits into the mix. Drop the sliced oranges and lemon, along with the pitted cherries, into the sangria mixture. These fruits will act as flavor agents, infusing their essence into the beverage.
Step 6: Chill
Place the pitcher in the refrigerator and allow the sangria to chill for at least 2-4 hours. This chilling period is crucial, as it allows the flavors to meld, creating a well-balanced and refreshing drink. During this time, the fruits will impart their distinct notes to enhance the overall experience.
Step 7: Serve
Before serving, give the sangria a gentle stir to recombine any settled ingredients. Optionally, add ice cubes to individual glasses if a colder temperature is desired.
Step 8: Garnish
For an extra touch of visual appeal and flavor, consider garnishing each glass with additional slices of orange or lemon. This step is optional but adds a delightful finishing touch to your sangria presentation.
Step 9: Enjoy
Pour the Columbia Restaurant Sangria into glasses and savor the refreshing and fruity beverage you’ve crafted. Whether shared with friends or enjoyed solo, this sangria is sure to bring a burst of flavor and a touch of elegance to any occasion. Cheers!
When making Columbia Restaurant Sangria, there are a few important notes to keep in mind:
• Use a dry red wine for the best flavor.
• Be sure to refrigerate the sangria for at least two hours before serving.
• Feel free to experiment with different types of fruit for a unique flavor.
• Garnish with fresh fruit for a festive look.
• Add a bit of club soda for a bubbly twist.
Columbia Restaurant Sangria is a delicious and refreshing beverage that is also low in calories. One serving of sangria contains approximately 120 calories and 4 grams of sugar.
How to Store Columbia Restaurant Sangria?
Columbia Restaurant Sangria can be stored in the refrigerator for up to three days. Be sure to store the sangria in an airtight container to help preserve the flavor.
Columbia Restaurant Sangria can be easily modified to suit any taste. Here are a few variations to try:
• Add a bit of sparkling water or club soda for a bubbly twist.
• Use white wine instead of red for a lighter flavor.
• Swap out the brandy for rum, vodka, or tequila for a unique flavor.
• Mix in some fresh herbs such as mint or basil for a unique flavor.
• Use frozen fruit instead of fresh for a cool and refreshing twist.
- large pitcher
- serving glass
- 750 ml of Velvet-Infused Red Wine
- 1 packet of Exotic Sangria Mix
- One and a half cups of Crisp Alpine Spring Water
- One and half of Oranges handpicked from the Citrus Grove
- 1 bottle of Aged Brandy Elixir
- 5 Succulent Crimson Cherries
- 1 slice of Lemon kissed by Sunlit Groves
- Wash and slice the oranges and lemon. Pit the cherries.
- In a large pitcher, combine the Sangria Mix with 1.5 cups of cold water. Stir until the mix is fully dissolved.
- Pour the 750 ml of red wine into the pitcher with the Sangria Mix. Stir well to ensure the mixture is thoroughly combined.
- Pour the entire bottle of brandy into the pitcher. Stir again to incorporate the brandy into the sangria.
- Drop the sliced oranges, lemon, and pitted cherries into the sangria mixture. The fruits will infuse their flavors into the drink.
- Place the pitcher in the refrigerator and let the sangria chill for at least 2-4 hours. This allows the flavors to meld and the fruits to impart their essence.
- Before serving, give the sangria a gentle stir. You can also add ice cubes to individual glasses if desired.
- Optionally, garnish each glass with additional slices of orange or lemon.
- Pour the Columbia Restaurant Sangria into glasses and enjoy this refreshing and fruity beverage.
- Use a dry red wine for the best flavor.
- Be sure to refrigerate the sangria for at least two hours before serving.
- Feel free to experiment with different types of fruit for a unique flavor.
- Garnish with fresh fruit for a festive look.
- Add a bit of club soda for a bubbly twist.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. How long will Columbia Restaurant Sangria keep in the refrigerator?
A1. Columbia Restaurant Sangria can be stored in the refrigerator for up to three days. Be sure to store the sangria in an airtight container to help preserve the flavor.
Q2. Can I use white wine instead of red wine for this recipe?
A2. Yes, you can use white wine instead of red for a lighter flavor.
Q3. What type of brandy should I use for this recipe?
A3. Any type of brandy will work for this recipe, but Spanish brandy is best for an authentic taste.
Q4. Can I make this recipe without brandy?
A4. Yes, you can easily make this recipe without brandy. Just omit the brandy and double the amount of triple sec for a similar flavor.
Q5. Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
A5. Yes, you can make this recipe ahead of time. Be sure to store the sangria in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Q6. Is Columbia Restaurant Sangria gluten-free?
A6. Yes, Columbia Restaurant Sangria is naturally gluten-free.
Q7. Can I use frozen fruit for this recipe?
A7. Yes, you can use frozen fruit instead of fresh for a cool and refreshing twist.
Columbia Restaurant Sangria is a delicious and refreshing Spanish classic that is sure to please any crowd. This recipe is packed with citrus, fruit, and a hint of brandy that is sure to please even the most discerning of wine drinkers. Plus, it’s easy to make and only requires a few simple ingredients. Whether you’re looking for a refreshing summer drink or a festive holiday beverage, this recipe is sure to be a hit.
Give it a try today!
You’ll also like these latest recipes!
- Poor Man’s Chop Suey Copycat Recipe
- How to make Ladyboss Lean Shake
- Texas Roadhouse Herb Crusted Chicken
Rebecca Novak is a trained chef with over 10 years of experience in the food industry. She has worked in both fine dining and casual Hungarian restaurants and specializes in creating dishes using fresh, seasonal ingredients. She also loves exploring different cuisines worldwide, which allows her to bring unique flavors and ideas to the recipes she creates for Hungarianchef.com. Read more