Last Updated on October 11, 2023
Bojangles is a popular chain of fast food restaurants known for its delicious Southern-inspired menu. One of their most iconic dishes is the Bojangles Dirty Rice, which has become a fan favorite for its savory taste and hearty texture.
This dish truly captures the essence of Southern comfort food and is a must-try for anyone looking to satisfy their cravings. With just a few simple ingredients, you can enjoy the deliciousness of Bojangles Dirty Rice right in your own kitchen.
Follow this step by step guide to recreate this beloved dish and experience the unique flavors of Bojangles at home. So, get ready to cook up some comfort food perfection!
What is Bojangles Dirty Rice?
Bojangles Dirty Rice is a classic Southern dish that originated from Louisiana. It is made with a mixture of Cajun-inspired spices, ground pork sausage, and sautéed vegetables, all cooked together with rice to create a wonderful meal.
The name “dirty rice” comes from the appearance of the dish, as it typically has specks of brown from the cooked sausage and seasonings mixed in with the white rice.
Not only is this dish delicious, but it is also nutritious with the addition of vegetables and protein from the sausage. It’s a great option for a quick and easy meal that doesn’t compromise on flavor or nutrition.
You’ll also like the following Drinks recipes!
How Does It Taste Like?
Bojangles Dirty Rice has a unique combination of flavors that truly captures the essence of Southern cuisine. The brown rice adds a nutty and hearty base while the sausage brings richness and depth to the dish.
The sautéed vegetables add sweetness and texture, while the Cajun spices give it a bit of heat and smokiness. Altogether, these ingredients create a harmonious blend of flavors that will leave you wanting more.
- Brown Rice: Cooked brown rice is the base of this delicious Bojangles Dirty Rice. It adds a nutty and hearty texture to the dish, making it more filling and nutritious compared to white rice.
- Garlic: Fresh minced garlic adds a pungent and savory flavor to the dish.
- Cayenne Pepper: This spice adds heat and depth to the dish, giving it that signature Southern flavor.
- Salt and Pepper: These two basic seasonings help balance out the flavors of the dish.
- Ground Pork Sausage: This protein adds heartiness and richness to the dish, making it a satisfying meal on its own.
- Thyme: A fragrant herb that adds an earthy and slightly sweet taste to the dish.
- Paprika: This spice adds a smoky and slightly sweet flavor to the dish, enhancing its overall taste.
- Onions: Chopped onions add sweetness and depth of flavor to the dish.
- Red Bell Pepper: This vegetable adds color, crunch, and a subtle sweetness to balance out the other flavors in the dish.
Step by Step Directions
Cook the Brown Rice
- In a pot, bring 10 cups of water to a boil.
- Add 5 cups of brown rice and let it cook for about 45 minutes or until fully cooked.
Prepare the Sausage
- In a large skillet, cook the ground pork sausage over medium heat. Use a wooden spoon to break up the meat into small pieces as it cooks.
- Once the sausage is fully cooked, remove it from the skillet and set aside on a plate lined with paper towels to drain off excess oil.
- In the same skillet, add chopped onions and red bell pepper. Cook over medium heat until they are soft and lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add minced garlic, cayenne pepper, thyme, and paprika to the skillet. Stir and cook for an additional minute until fragrant.
Combine Sausage and Vegetables
- Add the cooked sausage back to the skillet with the vegetables. Stir to combine all ingredients together. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
Add Brown Rice
- Add the cooked brown rice to the skillet with the sausage and vegetables. Stir to combine all ingredients together.
- Season with salt and pepper according to taste. Continue cooking for an additional 5 minutes, allowing all flavors to meld together.
Ready to Serve
- Transfer the Bojangles Dirty Rice to a serving dish and serve hot.
- You can increase the amount of cayenne pepper or add some hot sauce to the dish if desired.
- Make sure to let the cooked brown rice cool completely before adding it to the skillet. This will prevent it from getting mushy.
- You can also add in some diced celery or carrots for added crunch and nutrition to the dish.
How to store Bojangles Dirty Rice?
If you have any leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. When reheating, make sure to add a splash of water or broth and heat it on the stove or in the microwave until thoroughly heated.
If you want to freeze the dish, let it cool completely before transferring it to a freezer-safe container. It can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. To thaw, let it sit in the fridge overnight before reheating as mentioned above.
What other substitute can I use in Bojangles Dirty Rice?
Here are some variations you can try:
- Use white rice instead of brown rice for a softer texture.
- Replace the ground pork sausage with another protein, such as chicken, beef, or turkey.
- Add in some diced celery or carrots for added crunch and nutrition to the dish.
- Blender & cups
- 6 large leaves of kale
- 5 cups water
- 1 1/2 English cucumber
- 2 lemon
- 3 fuji apples
- Start by preparing all the ingredients for your delicious kale tonic. Take 6 large leaves of kale and wash them thoroughly, then pat them dry using a paper towel. Remember to remove the stems before roughly chopping the leaves into small pieces. Next, peel and seed 1 1/2 English cucumbers, juice 2 fresh lemons, and core 3 fuji apples.
- Once all the ingredients are ready, it’s time to blend them together. In a high-speed blender, add the chopped kale leaves, peeled and seeded cucumber slices, fresh lemon juice, and cored apple slices. Give it a good mix for 2-3 minutes until all the ingredients are well combined and you get a smooth consistency.
- To ensure a perfectly smooth and fiber-free drink, strain the mixture using a fine-mesh strainer into a large pitcher or jar. This step is crucial in achieving the perfect texture and taste for your kale tonic.
- Serve your chilled kale tonic in glasses filled with ice, and add a lemon or cucumber slice as garnish if desired.
- For a sweeter drink, you can add honey or agave syrup to taste.
- If you don’t have a high-speed blender, you may need to blend for longer to get a smooth consistency.
- If you prefer a thinner consistency, you can add more water.
Can I use instant rice instead of brown rice?
While you can technically use instant rice, the texture and flavor will not be the same. Brown rice adds a nutty and hearty texture to the dish that cannot be replicated with instant rice.
Can I make this dish vegetarian or vegan?
Yes, you can omit the ground pork sausage and use a plant-based protein alternative, such as tempeh or tofu. You can also use vegetable broth instead of water for added flavor.
Can I use canned black beans in this rice?
Yes, you can add canned black beans for added protein and texture. However, make sure to drain and rinse them before adding them to the dish.
Thank you for reading our guide on how to make Bojangles Dirty Rice. We hope you enjoy this delicious and flavorful dish that captures the essence of Southern cuisine. Feel free to experiment with different variations and ingredients to make it your own.
Please share this article with your friends and family, and let us know in the comments how your Bojangles Dirty Rice turns out!
You’ll also like these latest recipes!
Lori Walker is a passionate dietitian and food lover. She offers simple and nutritious recipes that don't take long to cook. In addition to sharing delicious dishes, she also shares useful advice on saving time and money in the kitchen. She believes that with a bit of creativity, anyone can make healthy meals that won't break the bank. Read more